This Page

has been moved to new address

This is the gluten-free stuffing we will be eating.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

21 November 2006

This is the gluten-free stuffing we will be eating.

gluten-free bread

Normally, I emphasize the foods that are naturally gluten-free. Why always long for bread when gluten-free bread will never taste as good as an artisan loaf made at the best bakery? There are three thousand meals out there that need never involve gluten.

However, on Thanksgiving day, I do like stuffing. Growing up, those morsels were always my favorite bites of the meal. Roasted turkey? Oh, of course. And, I always stole long strips of crispy skin off the golden-brown turkey as it was resting in the pan. Cranberries? I love their tangy tartness, all the goodness of the autumn earth. Pumpkin pie? Sure. My brother loves to cut the pie in quarters and take one-quarter of it for himself. Mashed potatoes? Oh yes. That was about my favorite part, almost, particularly when I would mound them up, add another dab of butter on the top, let it melt down to make a little volcano of molten butter, then run my fork down the sides and let it spill it out. Ever since I saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind, when I was eleven, I have always made my mashed potatoes look like Devil's Tower, then looked up and said to my brother, "This means something." We still laugh.

But stuffing? Oh, the crusty bread, softened by the stock and covered in pepper. Some families love walnuts and sausage, cranberries and apricots, pistachios and red pepper. Whatever. I don't mean that flippantly — whatever you usually make, this recipe will probably adapt to it. But in our house — and now, the Chef is part of our house, and will be forever — this is how we will be making stuffing this year.

Gluten-free. Gorgeous. Oh, the stuffing.


THE GLUTEN-FREE STUFFING THE CHEF AND I WILL BE MAKING FOR THANKSGIVING

2 loaves gluten-free bread, diced into one-inch cubes, toasted and cooled
2 large ribs celery, medium diced
1 large yellow onion, medium diced
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper


Sautee the onion and celery in olive oil on medium-low heat until they are translucent. You will be able to smell the onions cooking at this point. (Take a deep whiff. That's a beautiful smell.) Add the garlic, as well as the rosemary, sage, and thyme. Stir these in and cook until you can smell the herbs, about one to two minutes. Remove from heat.

Bring the chicken stock to boil on high heat. Place the egg yolk in a medium-sized bowl and carefully ladle two to three ounces of the chicken stock to the egg yolk, slowly, while whisking the mixture. Add the rest of the chicken stock to the egg mixture at this point. (Ladling a small portion of the stock into the egg first, and blending it, will prevent you from having scrambled eggs.)

Add the cooled celery, onion, and herbs mixture into the stock and egg mixture. Toss the bread cubes into this mixture and stir it all around with your hands (or a spoon), to coat the bread. Add the salt and pepper and toss the bread again. Place all of this into a greased casserole dish (big enough to hold three quarts) and cover it with aluminum foil. Bake for twenty minutes at 425°, then remove the foil and bake for another ten minutes. Take a toothpick and stick it into the stuffing. If it comes out clean, the stuffing is done. If not, bake until the toothpick comes out clean.

Serves six to eight people, depending on their appetite for stuffing.

50 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I come from dressing people, not stuffing people. Cornbread dressing, which in my family we make with 2/3 cornbread and 1/3 regular bread. (This year I'll be using the NYT no-knead bread that's been making the rounds of the gluten-eating food blogosphere.) Cornbread dressing and sweet potatoes (we gave up the marshmallows years ago in favor of orange zest and nutmeg) are my two favorite dishes for Thanksgiving. Yum.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are beautiful! I was in the old scurvy dog whole foods today and they had a surplus of their $5 (!!) gf sandwich bread and I bought a couple of loaves, thinking, "oh oh oh I could make stuffing! but how?" and then here you are!

what a treat! happy thanksgiving, pancake!

Elodie

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! Any suggestions on bread? Although I have found a few acceptable brands, I have yet to find a truely good bread, because, as you said, it will never taste like wheat-based loaves.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe! I hope it all goes well for you! You are lucky to have such an understanding family. My son is not only a celiac but a diabetic. They have made great strides in the diabetes treatments since he was diagnosed and in all actuality since he was diagnosed with celiacs they have come a long way! Keep up the great work you do letting others know!
LSMWA@yahoo.com

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds so yummy. This is my first gf Thanksgiving and I just made some wild rice stuffing that looks great, but can't possibly be as good as this. Did you make or buy the bread? I have yet to find a bread that I would use even in stuffing.

-- Sharon (who is also a scorpio but is not your friend mentioned in the last post. Though I did wear a very similar shirt in 1976...)

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and The Chef - I am sure everything will be amazing.

I have a request: at some point, could you address the POMEGRANATE ? I am not even sure that I know how to spell that. It looks wrong to me.

I am fascinated by them in the grocery store, but don't really know what to do with one. I bought one today, it was just so pretty. It's also mysterious and intimidating, and I am sure that you could come up with some great ideas on how to enjoy one !!

Thanks for all your great posts. I love checking in on this blog each day.

Kristin in Santa Barbara

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I live in Kent, WA and was just diagnosed with cd. Your stuffing sounds wonderful and I am going to attempt it for Christmas.
Where can I find gf bread that doesn't taste and act like sawdust! I have tried all the natural food stores, but when they eliminate the gluten, they also eliminate fat and eggs etc.
I need help finding good bread.

thanks,

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made GF stuffing last year that was so bad even the dog wouldn't eat it! I hope you can save us with your wonderful recipe (no pressure.)
As to bread, we have had the best luck with tapioca bread, toasted. Wonderbread it ain't, but it is better than the others.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm celiac too... thanks for posting recipes. The thanksgiving stuffing sounds good, maybe we'll try that this year.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Thank you! This is baking as I type. We are using Pamela's brand bread mix with some added Italian seasoning. It smells WONDERFUL. Thank you for helping us in our first Gluten Free Thanksgiving.

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna,
I must say you are a life saver. I came accross your page a few months ago and have been addicted to reading every post you put up. I was diagnosed with CD in May of this year and it really has been a hard transition for me. I was diagnosed with CD while I'm still young, I'm 24, and that's been one of the hardest things. My husband and I love going to restaurants with friends and family. The first time we went to lunch at one of our favorite restaurants, I cried while going over the menu. I felt like I was all alone in this Gluten free world. No one around me had even heard of Celiac Disease nor had they even heard of Gluten. After that restaurant experience I decided to do some research. I've been on just about every "Gluten Free" website I could find and even joined the Celiac Disease Foundation. I came across your page and have been hooked! I'm so thankful I found you! I bought your book and absolutely LOVE reading it. You saved me this Thanskgiving! My mom and I made your Gluten Free Stuffing and let me tell you, it turned out amazing!! I don't know what I would have done without you and your blogs!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! You are a huge inspiration!!

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this stuffing on Thanksgiving for my 1st GF Thanksgiving. It was literally the best stuffing I have ever had. It makes a lot of stuffing for 5 people! We had plenty for 2 days aferwards. I had to adapt the recipe some though. I used 2 loaves of Gluten Free Pantry's White Sandwich bread. First time using/tasting it and it is yummy! However, the 1 cup of chicken stock wasn't near enough to soak up all that much bread. I ended up using 6 cans of chicken stock (roasted garlic flavor)in order to soak it but it wasn't too mushy!!! Other than that all the ingredient amounts were correct. Personally, I'd add a little more celery next time since I like it so much. Maybe even carrots. I am sold on this recipe! Thanks so much!

 
At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made my first gluten-free Thanksgiving as my sister was newly diagnosed with Celiac. This was a great recipe but passing along - I did add some fennel and it was delish. Even my picky eating husband enjoyed it which speaks volumes!

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been gluten free for just over 18 months and lamented the lack of bread for too long. Then I found Gluten Free Pantry. It's not perfect but it is a reasonable substitute. To dress it up a little I use oil perfumed with garlic cloves or toast it with butter flavored cooking spray and different seasonings. I can have pizza, sandwiches, and yes even holiday stuffing again! Good luck!

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for making eating easier and better for celiacs. My dad, now 86, was diagnosed while in his early 60's. Dad has not been so good at watching out for himself (can't read the fine print on labels) so I do what I can. Three years ago, I decided just to make the entire traditional Thanksgiving dinner gluten free so he wouldn't have to ask "Can I eat this?" I found the white bread from Gluten Free Creations in Phoenix to be a good base. Cut into cubes, it makes wonderful sage stuffing. I make it exactly as I did white wheat bread stuffing and guests don't even realize it's different. It's basically bread cubes, celery and onions cooked in butter, lots of sage and fresh ground black pepper. Moistened a bit with water, it is then stuffed into the turkey and that's that! By the time it's covered in cornstarch thickened gravy, I can't tell the difference either. I imagine that by cooking it in the turkey, it gets lots of flavor from that. I'm trying the Whole Foods GF pie crusts this year which I'm sure will be great. Also thinking of grinding up GF Ginger Snaps to make a crumb/butter crust for one of the pumpkin pies. We'll be in Tucson as well; enjoy the sunshine!
Nancy in Arizona

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be honest I have made this stuffing numerous times and have used many different GF breads. Really you cannot tell the difference. The texture and consistency when you are mixing the broth with the bread is kind of ... weird, but it all turns out tasting wonderful and fluffy, just like the non GF stuffing, in fact my husband could not tell the difference. This year my whole family will experience an ALL GF thanksgiving, and I believe they will not even know the difference. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Jenn Whaley - Kentland Indiana

 
At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to thank you so much for posting the gf stuffing recipe. My husband was recently diagnosed and it has been a challenge for him to feel satisfied after eating. I'm sure this will help him truly enjoy his favorite meal of the year.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any suggestions for descent gluten free bread to use for this recipe? It sounds great!

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my 5th GF Thanksgiving. Not only can't I eat Gluten, but I have a Preservative allergy as well...so no turkey! But I have to say that I can do without the turkey, it's the stuffing I can't live without. It just makes the holiday for me! I just googled GF Stuffing and got you and your recipe...and I can't wait to get the ingredients. It sounds absolutely delicious! Thanks so much! Thanksgiving is back! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Am fascinated with trying the gluten free dressing and as you might guess, my family will be apprehensive. Do you recommend a particular type of bread and if so how large a loaf?

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, so that picture of the loaf of bread at the beginning of this recipe posting.....what is it and how do I make it??? Looking for an all purpose recipe for a good bread, for sandwiches, stuffing, etc. PLEASE HELP!

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Anonymous in Kent, Washington- Please go to Haley's Corner bakery in Kent. You have a great GF bakery in your own backyard. Hurry!

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very excited to try this stuffing recipe, it sounds wonderful! I just want to tell everyone who is looking for a great bread to use with it that my 12 year old son (who has cd) found a bread while visiting Colarado over the summer that he loves and he will not eat any other gf bread. I have it shipped to us in PA (I buy 8 loaves at a time and freeze them). The company is Udi's and their website is http://www.udisfood.com/ I have been trying to get our local Wegmans grocery store to carry it and I've heard through the grapevine that they may have it soon, but until then, it's worth every penny to give my son good bread that looks, feels and tastes like "real" bread. They have white and whole grain as well as muffins and some other gf baked goods, check them out, you'll be glad you did. And no, I don't work for them nor am I related to anyone who does, I'm just a mom who is thrilled to be able to give her celiac son good bread.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Shauna, what kind of GF bread to you recommend? Thanks.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Kathi said...

Is it ok to post a link to a recipe?

This is the bread I just made. And it rocks (if I do say so myself):

http://iamhealed.net/2009/11/21/truly-awesome-gluten-free-bread/

It will be stuffin' soon. :D

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Jenn said...

My girlfriend is coming over for Thanksgiving and can't have gluten. She gave me Barley bread from one of our awesome bakeries in Boulder to use in the stuffing. I can't wait to make this for her. It even sounds tasty to my hubby! Thanks!

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I have a favorite GF stuffing recipe, I was curious what the Chef came up with, and was suprised to see it is rather similar to mine! That makes me feel so gourmet. Anyway, I just wanted to let other readers know that we like to use the GF sour dough bread from Whole Foods for the stuffing. EVERYONE loves it.

 
At 5:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the stuffing recipe - it looks wonderful. I have two questions about it 1) will the Whole Foods sandwich bread work well with it? and 2) Can I put it together a day or two ahead, and bake it later? I'm traveling for Thanksgiving, and I'd like to have the preparation done in advance.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for those of you asking about a good GF bread- my son loves the Gluten Free pantry everyday sandwich bread- it really tastes like regular bread- i make it in a bread machine with a GF setting- it is easy to make and truly tastes like any homemade bread. I think it will work well in this stuffing and i am going to try it!

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, this stuffing was amzing, i swithced around alot of things but I went off of ur general idea, your doing somthing very good here by showing people fun yummy recipies!
THANK YOU!

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Rindie said...

This is the third year I've made this now (Thank you Shauna) The tapioca blend breads work better than the pure rice flour ones, in m opinion. And I add an extra egg.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Well I made the stuffing and it was delicious! I use heaping tablespoons of the herbs and instead of making my own bread cubes, bought GF bread cubes from Whole foods in the freezer section. There were several people walking around the store on Tues evening with several containers of this. I used 2 8 oz packages for this recipe and it worked well. Next time I would break up the cube more that I did this time. Maybe put them in a ziplock and hammer them.

Yummm!

PS The GF cubes were expensive $5.99 per 8 oz pack but a real time saver. Most GF breads are in that price range anyway.

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this stuffing and it tasted good but was dry even after pouring more broth over it. Maybe it would be helpful if you put how many cups of bread in the recipe instead of how many loaves? Thanks for the recipe!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger katie said...

Thank you so much for the recipe for stuffing/dressing! I made it using half GF cornbread and one loaf of purchased GF bread. It was FABULOUS! I made it for everyone and didn't mention that it was GF, nobody asked. I agree with some who mentioned it was a bit dry, I added more broth than you call for but that's easy enough. And, I made mine in my crockpot thanks to Stephanie O'Dea and it worked great. This is the way I'll do it from now on! Thank you, thank you for all you do for the GF community!

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting all of these great recipies! I am having all of my in-laws for Christmas this year and some of them can't have gluton while others can't have dairy so I am learning all kinds of new tricks.

I have 2 questions about this stuffing...1) Can I put it in the turkey? 2) What's the egg for?

Thanks so much!

Heather

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Yes you can put it in the turkey. The recipe does not call for enough liquid. Add until you feel the stuffing is moist enough. The egg would help hold everything together, Eggs are not considered dairy, but could be another allergy. Check with your inlaws to be sure.

Also I went heavy on the seasonings. Heaping instead of level.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't have egg yolk. Do you have any substitution ideas?
Thanks so much for the great recipes!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Christie M said...

So far the only bread I have been able to find acceptable is Udi bread. It comes frozen. I have made french toast with it for the entire family and they had no idea it was gluten free. I'm going to try this out before Thanksgiving! :)

Thanks

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for this recipe. I am going to use it for the first time this Thanksgiving 2010. My husband and I have found that Udi's breads and bakery goods are the best GF products so far. They even have a website and coupons. So, I will be using Udi's bread for the stuffing.
Barbara Portland, Oregon

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been gluten-free, milk-free, and soy-free for 5 years due to allergies. Udi's gluten free sandwich bread is the BEST GF bread I've ever found. (It's soft, you can actually eat it without toasting it, and it has a normal texture!) I'm going to use it to make this stuffing for Thanksgiving and I think it'll be great.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Udi's has great bread. I used a pre-made cornbread mix and that came out great as well.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger seelybum said...

I just made some Gluten Free Pantry favorite sandwich in my machine on the GF setting. It is the tallest, softest tastiest GF bread I have made, and I've tried quite a few.
Made some croutons with it for a Green Bean Casserole. Yum.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Udi's Gluten Free bread is fabulous. They also have a recipe for stuffing on their website, under recipes: dinner. I haven't tried the recipe yet, but bought the bread today to try it out for Thanksgiving.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger waterbaby said...

I'm a gluten-free girl too, but I also happen to be a lactose intolerant lady. It would be a sweet treat if you could please keep us gf & lf folk in mind when you're in that recipe-creating mood. Thanks!

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going to use a GF Irish soda bread recipe I found on allrecipes.com for the bread. I can't wait to make this stuffing! Thank you for posting it!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

My husband and I are having thanksgiving with another couple and the woman has celiac. I don't want to leave her out so I decided to make gf stuffing and I appreciate all the comments with bread suggestions! I've never had gf bread myself and would have no idea how to choose! Thanks so much & Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! I haven't eaten stuffing in years and every year I smell it and wish for it. You've made my wish come true. I used Udi's bread for mine. One loaf of the white and one loaf of the grain. I thought it was absolutely delicious!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Thanks for the great recipe!!! We used Udi's bread and it came out amazing! We also made Mrs. Cubbinson's stuffing for the gluten eaters at dinner and almost everyone preferred the gluten free stuff!

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for this recipe! It was really easy and turned out really delicious! My mom, who never eats stuffing, kept asking for more and our three Siberian huskies really loved it too - when I accidentally dropped a few bread cubes on the floor.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger leslie in issaquah said...

I like udis bread, but for stuffing try the udi bagels! Even better than the bread. Stays firm nev soggy... Lovely...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home