This Page

has been moved to new address

juicy and luscious, these seeds are glorious

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

02 November 2005

juicy and luscious, these seeds are glorious


cut-open pom, originally uploaded by shaunaforce.

Look at that richness. Whenever I look at foods closely, I'm astonished by them.

I've been planning a post on pomegranates for days, after going on a photographic spree this weekend with pomegranates. When light spills in from the skylights, I grab the camera and start taking photographs of every food in my kitchen. And this week, a plump pomegranate lay at the bottom of my organics produce box. How could I resist? Even if it did mean hobbling and hopping on one foot to take the shot.

I've been constrained from writing fully by the need to finish writing evaluations for school. Essentially, this means turning in my grades. I don't want to talk about it. That's school. I just need to finish them before I can go back to my lovely world of food blogging, fully.

But I had to pause to put up this little notice: I've won a photography competition! Every month, one food blogger hosts Does My Blog Look Good in This? An international round-up of food bloggers' favorite shots from the previous month. This month, Aun from the inimitable Chubby Hubby is hosting. And I was thrilled to find out this morning that my photograph won the Originality category! Whoo-hoo!

Now, I don't mean to crow. And I'm not. More, I'm astonished. Six months ago, you could never have told me that taking photographs of food would be one of my top passions. But it is. I love the close observation, the dancing with light, the quiet concentration. I love how taking photographs with my little digital camera forces me to really look at the world, akin to the way that writing does, but different. I wrote about it here, and my love for it has only grown since then.

But more than that, I'm thrilled for the contents of this site. Societally, people tend to think of a gluten-free diet as drab, pre-packaged, and destined for a pallid life. But it doesn't have to be like that. I have found (and I've been sharing it with you here for months now) that a gluten-free diet has yielded deep creativity in the kitchen, paying attention to food in ways I never did before, and the best meals I have ever eaten. And the joys of this blog. So I'm thrilled that a gluten-free photograph won part of this competition. I hope that it inspires you.


Now, back to writing evaluations. More on pomegranates soon.

19 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Great photo. I love to do close-up photos like that, although I have a lot to learn!

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Shauna! That picture looks so good, I licked my monitor trying to get at it.

Now, get off that foot and let it rest!!!! :©)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Congratulations!! How exciting! Though, I have to say, I'm not surprised! That pomegranate is gorgeous - what color. How lucky to get one in your box - I do want to start back up with a CSA around here, I just haven't done it yet after getting burned. Good luck with the evals - I know how much work it is! Thank you for yesterday's post also...I found some wonderful sites that actually changed my whole day, esp. My Madeline.

Good luck, and keep healing!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

You always take lovely photos Shauna! You have every reason to be proud! Congrats!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Shauna, what a terrific site. Your pictures are awesome, as are your links. It is great to find a site about celiac disease that isn't jammed with boring medical terms. I have had celiac my entire life and I am happy to share my knowledge with newly diagnosed celiacs as well as trade ideas with veteran celiacs like myself.

Keep up the great work!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the photo award! Your pomegranate photo is also lovely. Would you believe I've never had one? I will do that soon!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Congratulations Shauna - that was a very beautiful photo!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Gorgeous photo! Congrats, m'dear.

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Congratulations - and well deserved. There is something quite wonderful about getting so "up close and personal" with food.

Hope the ankle is becoming less colorful.

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very exciting indeed. I think it is so inspiring to see people get rewarded for following their passions.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your foot is feeling better. It's is an incredibly colorful subject for photos though, and one you could explore further while keeping it elevated!

So funny to see a pom here. I just bought one on Sunday. Family tradition to eat them on Halloween. They are perfection, but meant to be eaten in the small doses nature provided. I tried that Pom juice, delicious but overpowering.

Congratulations on your photo! I've told you before, but here goes again - you inspire me every day. Even the ones that you don't post on. Those days I use to explore the links on your blog!

Feel better!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Joycelyn said...

hi shauna, congratulations! as for this picture, i have been staring at the screen for ages now admiring its abstract beauty...

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

Thank you, everyone. These have been a couple of rough days with the ankle (innumerable doctors' appointments, a feared blood clot, the afternoon in the hospital, and now a diagnosis: an avulsion fracture on my heel, along with torn ligaments. Possible surgery.), so this has been so wonderful to read in the midst of it.

Thank you all for coming by to read and leave your good wishes!

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And, quick healing!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Ilva said...

Congrats Shauna, it was a really lovely photo! Like all your photos! And I agree, food photography is amazingly fun!

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your website, even though i have no gluten issues of my own. i made these cookies the other day and realized that they are gluten free, so i thought i'd share:
peanut butter cookies
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1tsp baking soda
cream the peanut butter and sugar and then add the egg and baking soda. roll into teaspoon sized balls and press down with a fork. bake about 8 minutes (i like them slightly underbaked) allow to cool on the baking sheet 1 minute, then transfer to a cooling rack. or you can make these like peanut butter thumbprints (just make an indentation with your thumb and bake, add a piece of chocolate directly after they come out of the oven.)

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Shauna, gosh, I hope that your foot is better soon! What a bummer. But, back to your photography skills...they are awesome. Congrats on the DMBLGIT award! I love this photo of the pomegranate, too. My son calls the seeds 'rubies.' What kind of camera do you use? Mine can't get that close very well.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

Congrats! Your photos are always so gorgeous and the food always looks mouthwatering! Take care of that foot and feel better soon!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

Brendon--

Thanks! I'm starting to feel a little better every day, now that I'm in this cast.

Ilva--

Thank you, my dear. I love your Tuscan photographs too.

Tarynkay--

Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to try it. I do love peanut butter. And I love the fact you come by, even if you can eat gluten. That's my hope: to inspire everyone to eat better.

socalfoodie--

I do love the close-ups. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4100. When I bought it, I wasn't take food photographs yet. Luckily for me, it has a great macro lens. Thanks for the compliment!

Peggy--

Thank you! I'll do my best. It's coming along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home