This Page

has been moved to new address

The Chef shows you how to butterfly and stuff a pork tenderloin (a video)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

23 April 2009

The Chef shows you how to butterfly and stuff a pork tenderloin (a video)

Hey, everyone. It's video time.

Life has been a little complicated around here. Pack and clean out a house with a baby. Move in the middle of cold rain and hail. Unpack, for days on end. Walk the baby up and down the house all night, then go to the emergency room. Danny gets the shingles. The baby gets chicken pox. House still not unpacked.

Tell truth, this has been a bit of a rough month.

At least we're still eating well.

These complications have kept us from doing something we really like: shooting a cooking video. Every time we tried, life intervened. But this week, we did it. We shot a video, on Monday. A whole video!

And then the computer ate it. Each shot simply disappeared, instantaneously.

So we shot another one, yesterday. And it stayed! (I put little bits of sticky tape on the back of this video.) And, triumphant, we intended to post it...

and the baby grew more itchy and frantic. The internet had to go away.

But here I am, at 9 pm, the baby finally down, my fingers flying across the keyboard. A video. It's done. It's here.

And it's pork tenderloin, butterflied, pounded out, and stuffed with homemade chorizo.

Enjoy.




We'll share the recipe for chorizo tomorrow. Promise.


We'd like to take this space to announce a new venture of ours (and part of the reason we have been so busy). We're writing another blog, one all about pork:

Pork Knife and Spoon

We're pretty proud of it, and we're having a hoot writing it. Three times a week, we write anything we want about pork. Who knew this could be a job?

And a job it is. To be completely honest about what we're doing, we're being paid to write this blog, by the National Pork Board. You might find you have a sort of feeling about them. Many people do. We'd appreciate it if you keep that feeling to yourself, and not tell us all about it in angry letters. We were approached with this possibility, and after some consideration, jumped right in. To our delight, we have been given the freedom to write what we want, no editing, no censoring.

Just pork.

What we've been hired to do is simple: write about pork. We love pork. That's pretty clear from this website. But we also love the chance to showcase people we love who are making good food, people like Don and Michelle at Volterra restaurant, who offer an incredible pork cheeks and buckwheat polenta dish. Over the course of this year, we'll be featuring the hard work and inventive dishes of many Northwest chefs (and some beyond our environs) involving pork. In these economic times, we'd like to do anything we can to help good restaurants survive. Danny is itching to write about the different cuts of pork, and how best to experience the flavors. We'll also be bringing you the stories of people who raise pigs and make good pork, like the folks at SeaBreeze and Skagit River Ranch, family farmers trying to make it in this world. We actually buy almost all the pork we eat from those two farms. We're lucky enough to have local, sustainable pork near us. Perhaps if we write about these farms, folks who read might want to find a pig farm near them, too.

And of course, we'll talk about bacon.

So come on over to Pork Knife and Spoon for more recipes, videos, giveaways, and hilarious stories about pork. We'd love to see you there.

And for those of you who don't like pork, we can now say that this website will be essentially pork free, after tomorrow's recipe.

Enjoy the tenderloin.

21 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Pearl said...

thank you for the video - the new blog name is so hilarious and cute!

 
At 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

chicken pox? really?

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

I am so glad you are back with your videos! Congrats on the new blog as well! My hubby loves bacon. Hopefully I can grab some great recipes from you and entice him to eat more pork!

Babies and chickenpox, yuck. Poor baby. I hope she feels better soon!

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Littles said...

Shawna,
I get shingles (side effect of lymes disease), I knew that it was connected to chicken pox. I didn't know I could give it to my son. But then, I'm not always breaking out in blisters it's mostly nerve pain.
Does Chef have Lymes, or was it stress induced? Poor all of you!
So sorry!
Liz

 
At 5:08 AM, Anonymous Shannon said...

He should be on the food network - so quirky and easy to relate to.

I have been reading (and not commenting) for some time now. I have loved your talk of farmer's markets and locally procured meats and dairy products.

To that end, I was wondering if you would be interested in joining me next Thursday for Food Roots - a carnival about where our food comes from. If you have local ingredients you'd like to highlight, or their farmers for that matter I'd love to see it and encourage others to seek out local foods.

Thanks!

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Lisa said...

Ummm, bacon? Lard? Pork loin? You had me at "all about pork." Can't wait to see what y'all turn out!

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love pork and love your concept - good luck!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Nina Laden said...

Pork Knife and Fork- why not fork? You know me, I love when there are puns, rhymes, word play...

But if you can make me eat pork with a spoon- that's cool!

I can't believe you did a pork tenderloin vid. I bought a tenderloin yesterday and drove it to the island. I had no idea how to cook it and I was going to search online. The search is over! Mucho gracias!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Nicole McLaughlin said...

Love it!!! I grilled my pork tenderloin last night....I cant wait to try this!!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Sarah Caron said...

Oh my. What a trying month! Glad to hear that everyone is on the mend.

And CONGRATS! on the new blog. I hope you and chef will share a fab recipe for a garlic peppercorn tenderloin ... I am dying to make one after having so many delicious, store marinated ones.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Tameshia said...

i haven't watched the video yet because I was stunned....

shelves. full. of. books. in. the. kitchen....

SHUT-UP!!!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger sweetpea said...

On a recent trip to Budapest I had the opportunity to eat pork every night for 8 nights in a row. Mangalista Pork to be exact! If you have not heard of this particular breed of pork you simply have to check it out! I took a tour of the food markets in Budapest with Carolyn Banfalvi, a food writer and chef who told us all about this magnificent animal. Pork enthusiasts might enjoy her piece for Gourmet, describing the breed which is making a come back, especially in Europe: www.gourmet.com/food/2009/01/mangalitsa-pork. It was the most succulent meat I have ever had. I just couldn't get enough. The new website looks fun!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I'm allergic to pork, but I love it! Can't give it up completely. Who could give up bacon? Not I.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Tara Barker said...

Oh yum! That's going on the menu for Sunday dinner. :)

And maybe even yummier . . . LB's sweet voice in the background! Love that "mama" and giggle!

Thanks, Shauna & Chef!

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for a great blog and I love the videos, very informative. I think I'll make stuffed pork tenderloin!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger TDR said...

Yesterday, Oprah talked with the two inventors of "Baconaise" - they make all products bacon including a bacon flavored lip balm. The two inventors are former tech industry workers who now run this bacon business in Seattle.

Hope the family feels better soon!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger NotBlogginGirl said...

Great to see the weekly videos are back. . .I just have two questions: one, is there a reason for cutting the pork on an angle (apart from it looking purdy. . .)? And two, can we get a video on knife sharpening soon? My are pretty darn blunt and (while I have the stuff courtesy an old roomate) I'm too chicken to do it.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger gfe--gluten free easily said...

I laughed when I read you had started a pork blog, not because I think it's a bad thing at all, but because I remembered that outraged person who had commented/sent you an email that you had more pork on this blog than any other. LOL It still makes me laugh and I've shared that story on my own blog when I often post on pork recipes. Pork cooked properly can make anyone look like a kitchen god/goddess! I just made pork tenderloin with maple glaze for out girlfriends' dinner. It is fabulous and they were amazed! But, I haven't stuffed a pork tenderloin before--thanks so much for the video. :-)

Shingles ... UGH, I've had them ... before I was diagnosed gluten intolerant. Poor Little Bean with chicken pox, too. No fun for anyone. Sincere hugs to all.

Congrats on your new site! Off to check it out ...

Shirley

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

you guys are a hoot!!!

I never knew you could do that to a pork tenderloin!! Thank you Chef!!!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger LittleRedAmes said...

Shauna-thanks so much to you & the Chef for this video! You both have inspired me to try my hand at cooking this year. That being said, I decided to be adventurous and make two of these stuffed tenderloins for my extended family this weekend. After finishing all of the porky assemblage, my fiance walked in the kitchen & said, "You didn't use the nylon twine from the closet to tie those up did you?" I wanted to cry for a second because I was so proud of what I had accomplished (for this newbie, it was challenging) & wanted everything to be *perfect*, but then laughter came out & I said, "Well, looks like there's more trussing practice in my future."

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger picky-eaters said...

Did you get rid of your recipe link? It was a great addition to your blog unlike many others. Please direct me to it. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home