This Page

has been moved to new address

this week's round-up of the best gluten-free on the web

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

24 October 2005

this week's round-up of the best gluten-free on the web


Francoise beet salad, originally uploaded by shaunaforce.


So many recipes, so little time. However, I'm keeping my promise to you (and really, it isn't that hard for me to do this one) and trolling the best food blogs out there, in search of the most scrumptious gluten-free recipes of the week.

And this week, they mostly seem to be dessert. Maybe it's that time of year, when the body wants to start padding up for hibernation. Or maybe it's because this week was Sugar High Friday, over at Lovescool. Or maybe we food bloggers never grow tired of our sweets. Whatever the cause, here are my favorites of the week:

°Nic, at Baking Sheet, has this gorgeous dark chocolate yogurt, made with thick, Greek yogurt. I've never heard of it, never thought of making it. But that's what I thought about the cauliflower with cocoa powder, and I made that again tonight. Nic has a sweet tooth like almost no one else, along with pithy renditions of the making of the recipes. Her dessert sensibilities are exquisite. And last month, she made crepes with rice flour! I'm going to try this one this week.

The enigmatic J at Kuidaore has outdone herself again. Her photographs are little magic lanterns of taste, a window into a world of rich desserts laid out on tidy plates. I'm fascinated. How does she do it? This time, she made three desserts for Sugar High Friday (does she ever make just one?), with one of special interests for us gluten-free girls and boys: Carmen Meringay. Whimsical and sky-high, this one defies explanation. Meringues are a wonderful way to eat gluten-free dessert, and I'm going to try this one soon. No way am I taking a photograph, though. It would never look like J's.

Before you go over to look at Oswego Tea's Dark Chocolate Truffles with Fleur de Sel, make sure you prepare yourself. Take a deep breath. Take another. Make sure you've had something to eat recently. Okay, go look. Didn't I tell you? My god, those look good. And she made them herself? I adore dark chocolate with sea salt. Fran's, here in Seattle, makes caramels so good that an entire room will be filled with moaning as soon as you eat them. But Michele, she made these herself. And had the patience to take photographs before she gobbled them all? Oh my.

Tara at Seven Spoons teased us all week. Last Monday, she posted a photograph of the most divine rice pudding, promising the recipe. But no word from her. She claimed life overtaking her. Certainly, I understand that. But Tara, you tease! Finally, she has posted the recipe for Arborio rice pudding with Calvados and cinnamon caramel. You see what I mean? I hope life slows down a bit soon, Tara. Come back to us.


With all these desserts, we need something with substance. Why not try Ilva's zucchini, potato, peppers, and sun-dried tomatoes dish? And yes, I know this is the second week in a row that Ilva has made the weekly round-up. What can I say? She's doing a great job.


And our last entry (pictured above) isn't from the web at all. It's from my friend Francoise, who was over for dinner tonight with her two delightful girls, her dear friend Judy, and our lovely friends, Lakshmi and Matt. Yesterday, I wrote that I have a fear of beets. So many people left comments and emailed me, urging me to try them again, that I resolved this afternoon to cook with beets soon. Ask and you shall receive.

Francoise brought over the makings for this salad, then masssaged olive oil and white balsamic vinegar onto mache leaves. She dolloped goat cheese, then strew some walnuts she had roasted with honey. (This is my kind of friend.) And finally, little maroon coins of wonderfully pickled beets. We all pitched our forks into it and came up smiling. How can you resist? You should try it too.

I think I may have conquered my fear.

13 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Ilva said...

Shauna, it's becoming a dangerous habit ending up here on your list! Thanks again, it's a wonderful compliment! Tonight I'm trying out the chocolate cauliflower, well that would be morning for you!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger chockylit said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Love the round-ups Shauna - I've been waiting for Tara's recipe to come up too...

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Nic said...

With so many chocolatey things going on thie week, it's a wonder your list isn't as long as the roundup, Shauna. I think this is a great idea, esp. for other GF readers!

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Hi Shauna -- When you've got a minute, I'd love to know more about the cauliflower/chocolate combination, even just a link would be okay. It's hard to imagine but you've now made it twice which makes it perfect for A Veggie Venture! Thanks!! AK

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Michèle said...

Hi Shauna, thank you so much for including me in your roundup! Im happy to have tempted you with my chocolates. And not only did I keep from gobbling them up before taking a picture, I actually gave most of them away at Clotilde's gathering last week--someone won them in the gift swap.. And yes, it was hard to part with all those pretty darlings, but of course i did keep a couple for myself.. ;)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger tara said...

Shauna, now I feel terribly guilty! Little did I realize there was such interest in my recipe. I promise to try to be a good little girl from now on. I lvoe the idea of this round up, and am thrilled that you included me.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the round-up! Your salad looks delicious. I cooked with beets for the first time this summer and really liked them. But they sure are messy!

Mmmm, and honey-roasted walnuts sound great!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Shauna,
Wonderful round-up, just like last week...I just added new recipes to my 'to make' list! Just to let you know, I thought of you yesterday when I was reading the Nov. issue of Gourmet - they have a whole section of gluten-free recipes and how to mix various types of gluten-free flours to get the texture you want for each one. If you don't want to buy it, send me your address at mphilli4@darkwing.uoregon.edu and I'll send you copies!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Travis said...

I love it when food bloggers do round ups; it introduces me to so many interesting other great sites. Clotlide included this site on one of hers, and that's how I found it. A good friend of mine's mother eats gluten free, and I was always inspired by her recipies. Great reading.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Tonight for supper I made fried country ham, scrambled eggs, and stone-ground grits. Then I came here and read your post... and I started to wonder. So I googled "grits gluten."
Hey! Gluten free! And so tasty.
Oh. But it's not on the Web yet. Check with me tomorrow!
xx

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Pille said...

A lovely round-up again, Shauna, thanks! A great way to find out about some sites that I've missed so far..

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

Ilva--

No problem. You're doing great work, and I like to reward it! How did the cauliflower turn out?

Zarah Maria--

Doesn't that recipe of Tara's look divine? I'm just dying to try it.

Nic--

Thanks. I'm trying to help people. If I have to do it through chocolate, so be it! And thank you for the chocolate yogurt recipe. I'm making that tonight.

AK--

I don't have a link, because I made up the recipe. It's super easy. Just toss the florets in olive oil and sea salt, then lightly dust them with the smoked paprika and cocoa powder. Roast them. I thought it was unlikely before i made it, but everyone has loved it. And I'd love to see it turn up on Veggie Venture!

Michele--

Oh, how much I wish I could have been at that party of Clotilde's. It would have meant a) I'd be in Paris; b) I could have met you and Clotilde; and c) I could have eaten one of your truffles!

Travis--

Thanks so much. I adore other food blogs; I learn so much from everyone else. I'm just trying to spread the wealth. It really is easy to eat well when gluten-free. Thanks for coming by.

Cookiecrumb--

Okay, I'm coming by now. I've never cooked grits, but I read this great piece last week on artisan grits from the south, and it makes me want some! Thanks for thinking of me and all of us who can't eat gluten.

Pille--

Thank you. I just adore all these blogs. And yours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home