This Page

has been moved to new address

imagining the cookbook. oh wait! it's here.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

13 September 2010

imagining the cookbook. oh wait! it's here.

Imagine

For the past three years, Danny and I have been imagining this time, the time that is arriving within the next week.

As we cooked and took notes, talked and typed, edited and tried those recipes again, we created a cookbook for one reason: we wanted the book to be in your kitchen, flung onto the counter, food stains on the pages.

We want to inspire people to cook.

A few moments ago, the lovely Jenn Sutherland sent me a message on Twitter. "Can't wait to get your book this week! Got the whole weekend cleared to cook with you."

Later, someone else wrote of receiving our cookbook: "It came today and I've already read it (and dog eared most of the recipes). I fully expect it to be covered in sauce splotches and dustings of flour soon. It will not sit all pristine on my cookbook shelf pretty but unused."

Already read it? I swear, Danny and I both grew a little teary when we read this.

You see, for three years this cookbook has been ours. We have the piles of dishes to show that. We have tasted and sifted pounds of gluten-free flours, talked and typed, thought about recipes and discussed them in bed late at night, started over when a recipe as written on the page didn't work on the stove, and then hoped it all would work out.

If you have been reading this blog for awhile, you've seen us through this process, from the announcement of the book deal to this piece about cooking the dishes when Lu was just a small baby to breakthroughs in recipes that required baking to seeing the final book for the first time. So many of you have cheered us on, through your comments and letters and messages on Twitter. You have been in our heads as we altered recipes and made sentences more clear. You have been in the kitchen with us.

You see, this book is more than a cookbook. It's the story of a marriage, told through food. It's the story of a chef, a day in his life, and everything it takes for him to put food on the plate that is placed before you. It's the story of the Pacific Northwest, of meeting the man who grows potatoes and sells them at the University District Farmers' Market, and of the place where we lived through the narrative of the book. It's the story of a time past in our lives.

Really, for us, this cookbook is a sweet evocation of the life we once lived, before Lu, before living on the island, before looking at life differently after her surgery and tough, hilarious personality shone through. No matter what happens, we have this book to remind us of what our lives were once like.

But for you? The cookbook will be something entirely different. We don't know what this cookbook will be for you.

We hope it will be useful. We hope that after reading you are inspired to move into the kitchen and start cooking. We hope you find your lives a little easier after making gluten-free bread that tastes soft against the teeth and pizza that puffs up in heat. We hope you think about cooking with your spouse more often, about going to farmers' markets for the first time, about how your life might taste sweeter if you eat food in season.

And we hope you laugh. The cookbook is actually meant to be funny, in places.

It's not a typical cookbook. It's meant to be read cover to cover, like a novel. It's intimate and vulnerable and filled with the real details of a working chef's life (and his wife's). It's a lot more complex than a cookbook with 100 recipes and small head notes before each one and not much else.

We really, really love this book. It's entirely possible you might hate it.

No book works for every person who reads it. (Have you read this Salon piece about scathing reviews of much-beloved books on Amazon?) We're not hoping to please everyone.

We just hope that the book will find its way to those of you who will enjoy cooking from it.

You'll see when you read it: this book is really about cooking to connect, instead of impressing.

Danny taught me that. (I love that he is now an author. He never expected it.)

And so, this is what we worked for, three years long. We did all this work for one reason.

It's your book now.

* * *

We can't wait to celebrate this with you.



In this day, traditional book tours are pretty rare. Publishers are nervous about the money it takes to send an author around the country. Independent bookstores are closing up shop. With Twitter and Facebook, it's easy for an author to sit in front of the computer and do all this from home.

Not us. We want to meet you!

So we're flying ourselves to New York in 9 days. (For those of you wondering, of course Lu is coming with us too.) We're staying on friends' couches and hopping subways to different places each days. We're going on book tour.

We sure hope we get to eat good food with a bunch of you.

Rather than doing traditional readings in bookstores, we've created our own way. We want to create gatherings, lovely happenings of good people connecting over great food.

If you live in the New York City area (or anywhere close), consider adding the following events to your calendar.



Saturday, September 25th

11 a.m. to 12 noon


Shaker Country Fair at Hancock Shaker Village, in Hancock, Massachusetts

The day after we arrive, we are taking a train upstate to visit with Margaret Roach and Paige Orloff. (I know. How lucky are we?)

On the Saturday, thanks to Paige's good work, we will be making an appearance at the Shaker Country Fair. In fact, we'll be doing a reading/signing/appearance in the dining hall of the Brick Dwelling, from 11 to 12.

Afterward, we are admiring all the produce at the farmers' market and judging the best in show!

"The Country Fair at Hancock Shaker Village celebrates the bounty of the harvest with agricultural demonstrations, wagon rides, a fabulous Farmers Market, and our huge tents full of the best local and regional crafters and artisans."

We hope this is a way that those of you who live outside of New York City can come hang out with us and each other. How can you beat a country fair?


Sunday, September 26th

11:30 a.m. to 2:30 in the afternoon

We are so excited about this one.

We're having a Sunday potluck, like the ones we have at our house every week. Open house, everyone welcome. Bring a dish of great gluten-free food, something non-alcoholic to drink, a blanket to sit on, and your friends.

The only difference is that this potluck will be on the island of Manhattan, not on our small island here.

We're not telling you where, at least not on this public site. We're making this a secret picnic.

Can you imagine how much fun this will be if there are a big bunch of us eating together?

If you want to come to the potluck, and hear all the details, simply send an email to glutenfreegirl2010@gmail.com.


Tuesday, September 28th

2 pm — Danny and I will be the guests on the Living Today radio show on the Martha Stewart Sirius Network.

Tune in! Call in. Say something interesting.

6 pm to 7:30 — Gluten-Free Cooking Demo at the Whole Foods in Union Square

We'll be making black rice with chickpeas, bok choy, and tamari sauce, as well as a frisee salad with almonds, oranges, and garlic dressing. Plus, we'll be talking. And signing books.

This is a free demo, but space is limited, so you must reserve your spot in advance by emailing Elizabeth.johnson@wholefoodsmarket.com. Make the subject of your email g-free guest chef.


Wednesday, September 29th

10 am  — Food Blogger Meet-Up at Union Square Greenmarket

We are eager to meet our fellow food bloggers. Come join us at the Greenmarket in the morning, when the produce is still there. Let's meet on the south entrance of the market.

We'll buy lovely fruits and vegetables. I'm sure we'll all take photographs. And perhaps we can join our food forces for a picnic in lovely Union Square. (well, we'll be able to find a spot, right?) 


We'll probably be having a small pizza party for only gluten-free folks, in Manhattan. Watch this spot for more details.

(We're also having quite a few private events, with friends, in celebration.) 

And, if you live in New York City, and you follow me on Twitter (@glutenfreegirl) watch for special contests each day we are in New York. You might have to ride the subway for it, but you could walk away with a free book.

We can't wait to see you in New York City.

(For those of you will ask, we'll be in a few other cities too, such as San Francisco, Boulder, and Portland. More details on those, later.)

65 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Blogger Annie said...

When are you coming to the UK?! PLEASE?! We'll put you up - and host a potluck at our 100% gluten free supper club.... ;-)

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Belinda said...

For the first time in my life I'll be visiting America. New York. The weekend of the 25th sept. Such a coincidence!

Unfortunately I'll be on my way home at the time you will be at Whole Foods! Would have loved to meet you. The Whole Foods are at no.1 of my list of things to see in NY. Not the statue of liberty :)

Enjoy your tour. And your book is in the mail I have heard from my friends at Amazon.

Belinda from the Netherlands

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Kristie said...

Congrats... I read your book a little while ago and it was great... Would love to have a go at your cookbook but just wondering if you can tell me if the recipies covert to the brands/flour that is available in Australia.

thanks
K

 
At 3:47 AM, Anonymous Jenni said...

I have my book. I keep stealing a few moments to read it. Congratulations!

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger sweetpea said...

Unable to finish the book last evening - simply don't want to miss a single word so I am moving through it at a snails pace. But really, Mrs. Arkban has totally captured the spirit of the book and the writing in her review at Amazon paying the highest complement possible in her commitment to sauce splotches and dustings of flour. I might have her beat as I have already stained a page with roasted chicken juice, trying to read while carving my roast last evening. I am sure it it destine for more of the same in my house and I am already planning the first meal. I am giving some thought to a copy cat routine, cooking each recipe over the course of 100 days this fall, and I still might but I was stopped dead in my tracks with the opening recipe, an egg dish I just can't eat eggs as such. But I have a plethora of friends that would more than welcome invitations to eat their way through the book and after all, it is about connecting through food. Thank you both for such a wonderful addition to my kitchen.

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Nicola said...

Good luck with your book tour, it sounds like it'll be great fun. Your book is on my wish list for my birthday (not for a few months yet, but worth the anticipation).

 
At 5:42 AM, Anonymous Christa said...

I just found you, thanks to the lovely Mondo Beyondo ladies! My book is on it's way - cannot wait to read it! As a girl gone gluten free, and one who has loved to cook from childhood, I am really looking forward to trying everything out. Thanks to both of you and congrats on the book release!

 
At 6:10 AM, Anonymous molly said...

Sweet victory (and savory). I cannot wait. Though I know already enough to say: well done, you three.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Everellie said...

I got mine YESTERDAY!! Already started reading. Going to take it on a little vacation I have planned this weekend. Because I love a good romance . . .

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Sarah @ Gluten-free tries Vegan said...

Come to the UK! :)

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Jackie said...

Yay!! The events sound fantastic - can't wait!

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Oh noes! All the events are at times I'm rehearsing or working! *sadface*

I shall try my best to make one of the events, it would be so fabulous to meet you both. Enjoy the trip!
Rachel (aka widowspider on Twitter)

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous The Picky Foodie said...

I so wish my trip to NYC was a couple of weeks earlier!!!! But enjoy the autumn, enjoy the book tour, enjoy meeting so many others who, like me, enjoy your writing and your recipes. Much luck and joy!
(and let us know when you come to London UK :))

Gabriela
a.k.a. ThePickyFoodie

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Helene said...

Just got my copy yesterday! I can't wait for the weekend to cook from it!

New York is lucky to have you:)
Hope you make a trip down here soon too! I got the pork!

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I need to get my copy still-my birthday is this Thursday, and I keep (not so subtly) hinting that I really, really, really want it. We'll see. If I don't get it, I'm immediately going out to buy it!

Come to Southern California! We have horrible sunshine and heat, but we'd love to see you and meet you and share good food!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Amber said...

shauna, have been talking about getting this book since you announced the gluten-free pizza recipe that would be inside (among other things)...got my copy yesterday and whipped through to find the pizza crust. am i crazy? i can't find it in the index or on the pages...where have you hidden it?? (of course, i must confess i haven't started reading cover to cover yet...so it may be my fault that it's escaping me). please help though, i'm dying to make the pizza!

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Amber said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger jenious said...

Congratulations to you and your Chef! I received a surprise package in the mail yesterday and was delighted when it turned out to be a copy of your cookbook! It's gorgeous. I've already thumbed through each page and mentally marked recipes. I plan to take my time reading cover-to-cover. Cheers!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger jeanette from everton terrace said...

Yipee! I'm keeping fingers crossed you will be coming to Arizona seeing as you've got family here and everything. Can't wait! Good Luck in NY. How exciting.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Alison said...

Your book was waiting for me when I got home last night, and it revived me after a long day. I've got recipes all marked to try - starting today! I can't wait!

I hope the book tour is fantastic! Congratulations on producing a beautiful book!

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Kristen said...

Yea~ I can't wait to get mine! Perfect timing~ fall and winter just scream for hot kitchen weekends.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Nina Laden said...

I'm sure my copy is sitting in the Seattle house. I'm on the island. I'm so happy, happy, happy for you!!! (and I hope you'll sign my book when I see you ;-)

A word about the scathing reviews on Amazon- I've gotten them before, even on my beloved "The Night I Followed the Dog." All I can say is "opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and they all stink."

Be teflon my dear friend, pull the plug and let the water go down the drain. Love you.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Penny said...

I love how the book is a novel to read from cover to cover. Your relationship is so beautiful to read about. I just finished with the chapter where Danny proposed. Can't wait to finish the book and try a recipe or two.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine came today! I will be cooking from it tonight. Great job, guys. It is beautiful.
Chrystal

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger CatherineMarie said...

Congrats! You are welcome to stop by Farmington, CT, anytime....I'd love to meet you guys in person!

I've got the cookbook on my wishlist....

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Nurit - familyfriendlyfood said...

Oh, man, I read the Salon piece about scathing reviews of much-beloved books on Amazon. Jeez, people... Some can be really mean AND stupid - a deadly combinaiton.
Anyway, good luck on your book tour! Have fun!
I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive.
And, do an event in Seattle too, OK?

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Nikki said...

Long time lurker here...please Please PLEASE keep me posted on the Boulder date!! Can't wait to get the book :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Sally Anderson said...

Why no pictures of the book? I'll go on over to Amazon!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous LSL said...

I was so excited to get your book yesterday, but I forced myself to put it aside and finish up my work. I took off early (I telecommute), made myself a cup of tea and sat down with your book around 3. I forced myself to slow down and savor it and even took a break to watch the US Open men's final. And, thanks to your book, I was totally fine with the two hour rain delay in the middle of the match. I love Rafael Nadal (in a mom-crush kind of way) but I love your book even more. Loved the stories, the recipes and the photos. Thank you for making living gluten-free a positive experience and not just one of deprivation and whining (that's what I felt like at first).Thanks for all the lovely stories, recipes and photos.
And, though it was not in the book, thanks for pointing out the Udi bread, which meant I could have edible and enjoyable tuna and BLT sandwiches again in the summer. . All the best to you and your family.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Eliz! said...

Come to Portland!!!

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous alison said...

Oh my god I can't believe I forgot to order my book. Doing it now...
Hope to see you in SF - BlogHer or book tour or both?

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Janine said...

I just placed an order for your new cookbook on Amazon. If it is half as fabulous as The Gluten Free Girl, it will be a 5-star rating in our house. I am so grateful for your wisdom, research, humorous stories, positive attitude, and gourmet creations. Thanks for sharing your books, great blog, (and the chef). Much success with the new book!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger NotBlogginGirl said...

Annie,

You have a gluten free supper club in the UK? Wher? When? Can I come? Or is your dance card full?

Ali
(London)

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

OMG Shauna, that post gave me goosebumps (as you often do!) I'm so glad I got to meet you this weekend at the Seattle Tilth Harvest Fair--I was the goofy one waiting for you right when you arrived and talked your ear off before my 4y/old daughter came bounding up to say hey. Thanks again for this wonderful cookbook, we're all lucky to share in this journey with you! I do plan to read it cover to cover and thanks for the tips!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Deborah Dowd said...

Shauna, how exciting, things just continue to get better and better for you, and by extension to all the lives you touch with gluten free living.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Jenn Sutherland said...

Awww, thanks for the sweet shout out! Honestly, I'm about to start stalking the postal carrier - my toes are tapping and fingers itching to dig into your book! This weekend is going to be the most delicious of the year - I just know it!

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger I Love to Do Dishes said...

The internet says my copy is to arrive tomorrow...along with another I ordered as a gift for someone who recently discovered their allergy. I'm so excited! For us and for you guys.

I'm in New York City, but already have plans for that day. I think I can say for myself and others, that your invitation is sincerely appreciated. You both seem like amazing people. The kind one wants as friends. The best to you!

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Shuku said...

Oh Shauna, congratulations! I want this book! I may have to dig my brother out of work to go pick it up for me (he lives in NYC. Or Manhattan. I'm not sure any more.)

I want to cook from this, to make scribbled notations and floury trails all over it. I may not be able to find some of the ingredients but I'm getting really good at substitutions. Above all, I want to remember that courage takes one a long way. Just look at where you are now. :)

PS: I cook every day in the new kitchen. Cupcakes, muffins, breads, reinvented eggplant parmigiana, brown rice risottos with pumpkin. My body is so happy right now and so am I. Thank you so, so much for all your inspiration and your writing.

--Shuku

 
At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cookbook sounds amazing! Laughter should most definitely be in a kitchen. I especially like the fact that you cook with your husband. That's very sweet. Congrats on you cookbook and I can't wait to check it out.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So thrilled and excited for you and sorry that we'll miss each other in NYC; I'd love to attend an event, but I'm there a few days before.

As far as critics, always please yourself and others of like mind (and there are obviously so, so many of us)will appreciate what you do. As a musician, I've born the brunt of absolutely brutal reviews and in contrast, others that think my work totally rocks their world. Whom do I believe? Myself. If I love it, someone out there will too. And in the end, the most critical people are the ones that wish they had the guts, focus and talent to actually produce something. Anyone who writes, sings, cooks, paints, etc. respects effort and knows how much it takes to get off your butt and do it.

My husband is dying for your pizza and pasta. He's been bugging me for weeks in anticipation of the book! It's on its way. Hurray!

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

I'm so excited that you're coming to Boulder! The book is beautiful - thank you for sharing your lives with us.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

It sounds so simple, yet "thank you" doesn't seem sincere enough! I'm so excited to get a copy of your book into my hands and continue baking your recipes!! Just the act of eating food itself will be wonderful again, once I'm done healing from surgery last week, but it'll be even MORE worth it to have so many more delicious, decadent recipes from your kitchen to mine! Thank you for the late nights, stressful deadlines, and determination to feed me gorgeous, lovely, beautiful food!! It makes being gluten free feel glorious!!

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so looking forward to adding your book to my collection. The timing could not be more perfect. My birthday is just around the corner and your book is on my wish list.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Paige Orloff said...

How lucky am I??? SO lucky. Cannot wait to cook, eat and laugh with you all!! Xx

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger wheat free mom said...

Would love it if you would come to Canada sometime-especially Calgary where we have an amazing gluten free bakery called GF Patisserie.
Can't wait to get the new book.
Carrie
(wheatfreemom)

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Louis said...

Your site is amazing.I am very impressed to see this,i want to come back for visiting your site.Keep doing Good as well as you can..

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Jennifer Horacek said...

Alaska!! You must visit me and my kids in Palmer, Alaska! I am 35, the mom of two sets of twins and I only just now learned that I am gluten and dairy intolerent. I can't wait to get THE BOOK and try the recipes out on my my boys and my hubby. xoxox Jennifer

 
At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Nicole said...

Shauna,

I'm so excited for you! Congratulations, I know you and Danny have worked so hard for this!
My copy arrived last night, and I stayed up late reading it. :)

One question: the waffle recipe mentions substitutes for buttermilk and sour cream. However, I didn't see buttermilk or sour cream in the recipe itself. Am I missing something? Please help!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Just ordered from Amazon - can't wait !!!!!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Lucie said...

Congrats, can't wait to read it. Need all the help I can get in the baking department so some GFG handholding is appreciated!!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I got your book in the mail last night and it is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Thank you so much for writing a book about great food that happens to be gluten free rather than a book about how to work around the gluten issue. Eating your way isn't a chore and it makes me hopeful about regaining my joy in food again.

This weekend will be all about my farmers market, likely with your book in hand to further inspire me and then exploring all the great new flavors. It has a long while since I felt safe and capable in my kitchen. You may have given that back to me.

Again thanks for your words of love and hope.

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Lindsay Wiese said...

I just ordered your cook book! I can't wait to get it in the mail.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Jen said...

My book came yesterday and I stayed up much too late last night reading. And smiling. And tasting the food to come in my mind. I cannot wait to dig into the love that you and Danny wrote for us, and that I get to share it with my family. Thank you.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Julie Z. said...

I was so pleased to see your book on the shelves today at Changing Hands bookstore in Tempe, AZ!

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Joy of Living said...

My book arrived last night. Beautiful! I sat in the tub for hours (I was a bit wrinkly . . .) because I didn't want to stop reading for two minutes to dry myself off. And that to-do list for yesterday . . . ooops!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Lori Young said...

My copy of your book just arrived! Can't wait to dive into it. :)

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous LaurieA-B said...

I am really looking forward to holding your beautiful book in my hands for the first time; it will be a happy moment. New York with Danny and Lu will be amazing--can't wait to hear about your adventures.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Pétra said...

Finally got my book in the mail the other day and of course love it! I already have a pasta making date set up with another gf Mom and will have ravioli for the first time in 17 years!!
Being a Portlander I am hoping you will squeeze us into your West Coast tour, New York sounds like a blast : )
Congratulations!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Shauna, I've been reading out of my copy to my fella since Thursday. You guys are so funny! I absolutely love it. Brownies tomorrow, with those rosemary white beans to follow ASAP!

My only, only request is that some time you guys go into how to obtain good veal. I'm not surprised that classically trained Danny adores veal stock. But I'm not going to buy conventional veal. What do you suggest to those of us who might settle for "young beef" or "free range veal"? Just a thought for a future post. I also buy from the Skagit ranch folks - I'll ask them too.

ps. I love the authentic voice in your book. It's the best thing about it.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Frood Bird said...

Oh, I'm so excited to read it! Any chances you're coming to Vancouver, BC (or anywhere in western Canada, for that matter)?

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Bernadette said...

I've been taking your new cookbook to bed with me nightly....thank you. I have a college reunion here in Maine with many friends of mine coming to this state from away or I would be at that fair in MA. I guess it would be rude to skip out on my friends but definitely tempting! I've wanted to meet you, Danny and Lu so much! Good luck with the book tour, I KNOW it will be a best seller!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Ellemay said...

I eagerly await the arrival of my copy in october where all recipes will promptly have all onion removed from them so I can make them for my partner who has fructose malabsorption.

I've been waiting for decent gf baked goods that I don't have to experiment with for a while now.

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Betsy Gluten Freedom said...

Would love to host you in Atlanta anytime! Thanks for your beautiful blog and wonderful recipes. You inspire many of us.

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just finished reading Gluten-Free girl. What a great read. Although I wanted to learn about the gluten free "world", and did, the best gift was your love story. Yes!

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Lisa Torres said...

I ordered your book today from Amazon...cant wait... just diagnosed with Celiac Disease today...already knew I was gluten intolerant had a bad bad bad episode yesterday when I ate a bagel out of hunger desperation....wasnt prepared and not other food for me to eat at a meeting... BAD... I was in bed all day reading blogs and found yours I am soo excited... going to make some peanut butter cookies right now...LOL.. Thanks to you and all the great gluten free peeps who have been taking time to do this...cuz we all know we have have had to TRY SO MANY BLAH products in the store!! Thank you thank you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home