This Page

has been moved to new address

astonishment, Portland, and pancakes

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

23 October 2007

astonishment, Portland, and pancakes

autumn chanterelles

“I’m Shauna,” I say, as I extend my hand to shake someone else’s. And every time, I remember what I had forgotten, and I laugh. “Oh, I suppose you already know that.”

Weird and wonderful, this world of mine right now. My days are imbued with the joy of meeting people, people who read this little site and feel they know me. And you do know me, to an extent. (I don’t feel right blithely sending out imprecations here nearly as much as I do in real life.) After all, I have shared my celiac diagnosis, my discoveries of interesting grains, my sprained ankle, my love of Jamie Oliver, my courtship with the Chef (including the first post, the day I asked him to move in, the engagement announcement, our wedding photos, and some of the stories from our honeymoon), and my heartfelt and tender moments, for over two years. And now, some of you who have been reading here have also read my book, the book I wanted to create all my life.

You have my heart.

But until you meet me, you don’t know how I smell (the Chef says Shauna smell is a little like hash browns, actually). You haven’t heard my laugh, and that’s a side-splitter with a little splutter at the end. And almost everyone who meets me is surprised by the sound of my voice — much deeper than you might imagine from reading my sweet mysteries here.

I have loved meeting people, so far. So has the Chef. (It cracks him up when people look at him with wide eyes and say, “Oh, you are real!” People, I didn’t cut his picture out of a Kmart catalogue and paste him into every empty photograph with me. I promise you, he’s real. And once you meet him, you can call him by his real name.) Who could have ever predicted that these would be our lives?

Last night, we met so many lovely people at the LaSpiga event. Anne and Todd could have stood with us for hours, and we would have been happy talking about traveling and how to adapt as a couple if one person has a food restriction. Monica cracked me up when she leaned across the table and said, “Oh my god, I have to tell you, I’m a little obsessed with you two.” (Don’t worry. She’s cool.) Laura, the first one there, seemed especially happy to meet me: “”I’ve never met another person with celiac.”

And that, I feel in waves, is the happiest part of these events — the sense of community. At one point, as I was signing books, I looked over to see two big tables filled with people, talking. Nowhere else can we gather and talk about the state of our intestines and how to eat in restaurants without getting gluten. There’s a sense of commonality here that breaks down the walls of politeness that prevent us from really talking. Tea later told me that she wanted to get up for more food, but the table chat enveloped her entirely. She didn’t move.

And oh, the food. I only had one bite of the poached veal with tuna sauce (clearly, me having a full meal at one of these events is not going to happen). And it haunts me. A few days before the event, the Chef and I went into the La Spiga kitchen and walked through with the beautiful Sabrina, the head chef and co-owner. She listened intently as I showed her a few ways that they could prevent cross—contamination from the choices that they made. Everyone who ate there last night left feeling gloriously well.

And now, you have another place where you can eat gluten-free in Seattle. (I hear they might be working on a gluten-free chestnut pasta, handmade, as well.)

Thank you, everyone who came out last night, to meet us. And really, just to meet each other. We adore these moments, strange and surreal as they are.

I adore these moments of meeting people because I have not really understood that anyone is reading before these past few weeks. Oh, I read all your comments, and I cherish them. (You have no idea how your words inform my days.) I can spend more time on my site meter than is humanly decent some days, but those are still just words and numbers. For me, this website is the laptop propped up on my knees, the light fading outside, the cool air rushing through my window, and the sound of my fingers clicking on the keyboard. I can never experience what you are experiencing right now — reading my words new, and imagining. You could be sitting in a classroom in Michigan, on a break between teaching classes. You could be in your office in New York, trying to avoid rush hour. You could be in a cabin on West Vancouver Island, late at night, poring over my words.

I will never get over the astonishment.

I remember the feeling, distinctly, of taking down a copy of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn from a library shelf. At eight years old, I barely knew myself. But when I read the thoughts of Francie Nolan, my heart shuddered, a little. She understood. That feeling of connection still reverberates through me when I pick up a book and read someone else’s story.

I never had the chance to meet Francie Nolan or Jane Eyre or Antonia. But I love having the chance to meet you.

Blogs are beautiful, irrational objects. I still don’t even understand how the internet works. But because of this shimmering set of numbers and dashes, I can post this, and you will know it.

And because of the internet, I have dear friends who once were words on a screen. Now, they bring me chanterelles. Brandon picked them in the mountains, Molly gave them to Tea when they ate dinner, and then the Chef put them in the gluten-free pasta that we ate at nearly midnight. Dark and golden, a firm chew with kernels of sweet corn, softly sautéed chanterelles, and the last of the pasta we brought back from Italy. We all sat on the couch, late at night, silent except for the chewing. Tea couldn’t believe that we eat this way every day.

And when she left this afternoon, I stood on our little front porch, now covered in leaves that crunch and rustle, and took this photo for her. Autumn in Seattle, with chanterelles.

Astonished, I tell you. I’m constantly astonished.

Upcoming events in Seattle

So, if you’d like to hear my laugh in person, or give me the honor of letting me look you in the eye and shake your hand, here are some upcoming chances.

Wednesday, October 24th – 6 pm to 7:30 pm

At 6 pm, I’ll be at the Whole Foods on Westlake, giving a small talk, signing books, and maybe even making you laugh. I’m not the only attraction. There will be plenty of gluten-free foods on hand, as well as a gluten-free beer tasting!

And this one’s absolutely free.

Friday, October 26th – 6 to 9 pm

Friday night, and the work week is done. (Well, not for me, but for most normal folks.) Come celebrate at ChefShop.

Tim and Eliza have pulled out all the stops. Just look at this menu of memorable bites in a multi-course buffet dinner. (And they’re all based on the recipes the Chef and I worked up. I’m still shaking my head at this one, as well.)

Hors D’Oeuvres:
* Pizzettes with Prosciutto, Fresh Mozzarella, and Artichoke Hearts
* Shaved Fennel with Lemon Juice and Sea Salt
* Cherry Tomatoes Stuffed with Black Rice Salad

Buffet Dinner:
* Tomato Corona Bean Salad
* Mixed Green Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
* Roasted Cauliflower with Smoked Paprika and Cocoa Powder
* Macaroni and Cheese with Manchego
* Chicken Thighs braised in Pomegranate Molasses

Dessert:
* Lemon Olive Oil Cookies
* Chocolate Financiers


Those of you who longed to go to Italy after seeing our pictures? Wait until you see them projected onto a wall. (Really, the Italian tourist board should give me a cut!)

Hey Portland!

And this weekend, I’ll be driving down to Portland, singing as I go. (Sadly, the Chef cannot come with me, as his sous chef is on vacation. Next time.) I can’t wait to visit that little jewel of a town on the Columbia River. And I hope to be meeting many of you.

Sunday, October 28th

Andina, a fabulous Peruvian restaurant in Portland, is hosting a book launch party for us this Sunday. This celebrated restaurant was featured in Gourmet magazine last month, with this blurb:

“Gluten-free is on the menu.
The food at Portland, Oregon’s Andina has a benefit for people who are avoiding wheat. Since Peruvian cuisine centers on maize and tubers, gluten-free options abound. (No matter what your diet, don’t miss the mango, passion-fruit, and prawn ceviche.)"

I’m so honored that this incredible restaurant would host me and support the book. And I’m especially happy with this choice because – as you might read soon – I write in the book that one of the joys of going gluten-free is that we can start to eat more of the world’s food. How many of you have eaten Peruvian cuisine before?

Who could resist food like this?

* Corderito De Los Andes, a generous portion of local farm-fresh rack of lamb in an intense reduction leaned against a hearty Peruvian yellow potato and cheese roll, served with salsa criolla

* Quinotto De Hongos de Montana, Grilled market fresh vegetables on a bed of creamy vegetarian quinoa and wild mushroom risotto laced with black truffle oil.

* Halibut al Rocoto Y Kion, Roasted halibut over a shiitake mushroom, smoked bacon, and bok choy broth, topped with slivers of ginger, rocoto, and scallion basted with smoking sesame oil, served with asparagus and quinoa fried rice.

Yes, please!

The party is from 6 to 8 pm, with gluten-free appetizers, cocktails, and a signed copy of the book. Price is $55.

Please call Andina at 503.228.9535 to make reservations.

And hurry! You don’t want to miss this.


Monday, October 29th


I owe much of my eating life to Bob's Red Mill.

Without the dozens of little bags of flour lining the shelves of our kitchen, I could never have created the dishes that I have. With those bags of Bob's Red Mill, I have made teff polenta from whole grain teff, sorghum bread with sweet white sorghum flour, and blueberry muffins with amaranth flour. Here on the west coast, those little clear plastic bags are becoming ubiquitous on grocery store shelves.

Now, I have the distinct honor of doing a reading/talk/book signing at the Bob's Red Mill store in Milwaukie, Oregon (just a little drive down from Portland). I will be at the Whole Grain Store from 11 to 3 pm. So come on down for a little lunch — they have a small cafe there as well — and some time to laugh with me. I can't wait to see you there.

Tuesday, October 30th

On Tuesday afternoon, I'll be signing books and partaking of gluten-free treats with the folks who show up at Piece of Cake Bakery.

Want some lemon pineapple ginger cake, gluten-free? This is the place!


Chicago — I’m coming to you soon.

I can't wait to walk down the wind-whipped streets, smiling and holding out my hand to greet you.

There are plans afoot, for that first week in November. But if you live in Chicago, and you have ideas, let me know!


I have to tell you this, quite honestly. When I was a kid, reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and feeling like Francie Nolan might be the only person who would understand me, I had no idea how many people would come to fill my life.

Astonished, I tell you. Astonished.


gluten-free pancakes

Gluten-free pancakes

Around here, Monday mornings are Sunday mornings.

Let me explain. Since the Chef works on Saturdays, prepping and cooking at the restaurant, I work on that day as well. The first day of our weekend is Sunday. But on most Sundays, we are out of the house fairly quickly. Other friends have that day off, and we meet them for bike rides and brunches, slow conversations and sipping cups of coffee. On Sunday, we are in synch with the rest of the weekend world.

Mondays? Those are ours. These days, we try not to leave the house on Mondays until late in the afternoon, not if we can help it. With our life at such a pace, we are breathing into the hours without obligations and finding each other’s hands at the end of the exhale. We lounge in bed, allow the music to waft over us, and read the paper with our toes touching under the covers. Sometimes, we don’t emerge from the warm cave for hours. And late in the morning — nudging toward noon — we start to make breakfast.

Yesterday was the perfect day for pancakes.

I’ve been working on a gluten-free pancake recipe for months, varying flours and nuzzling nutmeg with cinnamon, pouring buttermilk or no milk, and eating most of the results happily. Really, you can’t go too wrong with pancakes.

Yesterday, however, I made the plushest pancakes so far, soft and airy, guaranteed to entice anyone from bed. These make a Monday morning off from work even sweeter.

¼ cup sorghum flour
¼ cup teff flour
¼ cup sweet rice flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup rice milk
2 eggs
3 tablespoons sour cream (or goat’s milk yogurt)


Combining the dry ingredients. Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir them with a wire whisk. (I have found this is like sifting the flours, without having a sifter.)

Combining the wet ingredients. Pour the rice milk (or whatever kind of milk you are using) into a different large bowl. Add the eggs and sour cream. Whisk it all together.

Making them one. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, ¼ cup at a time. Stir well between each dry addition.

Patience
. Let the mixture sit for at least thirty minutes, at room temperature, to settle into itself.

Cooking the pancakes. Turn a burner on medium heat. When it has come to temperature, add your favorite greaser here — canola oil, butter, or non-dairy spread — just enough to coat the pan. Using the ¼ cup measurement you pulled out of the drawer to measure the ingredients, dollop the pancake batter into the pan, from the height of a few inches. Allow the pancake to cook. Don’t be overeager to turn it. When bubbles have formed and mostly popped on the surface of the pancake, turn it. The second side always takes half the time to cook as the first, so watch this carefully.

Remove the pancake from the pan and serve.

Makes six small pancakes.

58 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger Allison the Meep said...

I know I've only commented on here a few times, and I've been reading for just a couple months now (I seriously have gone back and read all the posts), but I really do feel as though I know you. Not in the stalker-ish way. But how I feel about my good friends who live far away. I read your book and couldn't put it down, and you've inspired me to become a hardcore gluten-free cook. And your positive spin on every situation makes reading your blog an absolute pleasure. I am so excited to meet you on your L.A. leg of the tour! Thank you thank you thank you for making celiac such an easy thing to cope with. Thank you.

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Girl Upstairs said...

Once again I feel like I am part of a conversation. That is how you engender intimacy with readers so far away - you engage them in a sense of reciprocity.

I am in London, England where gluten free is easy to find on store shelves - all potato chips have little labels that say 'suitable for coeliac' or not.

So, I will tell you what I ate last night while you were enjoying veal and tuna. Last night I took my parents, who are visiting, to an Indian restaurant in north london where everything on the menu is gluten free except for a few breads and two starters. As I can't eat Naan and I love eating with my fingers I get their Appam, which is a rice pancake steamed in coconut milk. Divine. We ate for two hours, until the combinations of coconut, mango, chili, mustard seed, curry leaves and yogurt had filled all our senses. Chicken stew that was warm and welcoming, duck, hot and spicy, fish that flaked away with tapioca, eggplant in a yogurt sauce, mango and banana... It was glorious and my digestion is happy too!

I always look forward to the next part of your conversation.

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

Hi Shauna - when do you have time to breathe? LOL The pancakes look and sound scrumptious!

 
At 5:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Shauna, you do have a hearty laugh! It was one of the first things I noticed about you during your presentation at the GIG conference in VA. Every time you laughed, I laughed. Your passion for life has to escape some way! And whenever I describe you, that's what I say. "She has a great laugh." Not a bad way to be remembered. Makes me smile right now. :)

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I can't wait to try the pancakes! I made the Butternut Squash soup that you posted the other day and it was truly divine! Thank you for all your wonderful recipes.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Mindy said...

I don't have celiac, but I still love to read your blog. I can't believe it, but I'll just miss you in Chicago!!

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your going to be mere blocks from me for two of your days in Portland. Piece of Cake is my neighborhood bakery- I'll bike there from work on Tuesday with my well read and already dog-eared copy of Your book. Do you have times in mind for Tuesday? I'd hate to miss you.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Marie said...

You are so wonderful! Thank you so much for doing what you do. You help me get through the day.
I also wanted to tell you I am on my way to the store today to by your book. I can't wait to start reading it.

Thank you

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger sweetpea said...

Even the most discerning palate could not tell that the pancakes my partner makes are gluten free! I am so fortunate to have a partner who will go to the end of the earth to perfect my favorite foods into safe gluten free nibbles. Last Sunday I came from work to gluten free fried chicken that just wowed me! And who can't remember the first reads of books like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Catcher in the Rye to name a few - I am counting the days until Chicago! Enjoy the moment and travel safe.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger nicole said...

I read this last night at 11p as I finally finished up another dozen jars of applesauce, my apartment almost unbearably hot, and I thought about how much I love to read food blogs because it reminds me of how much we're all connected through food and, yes, writing too ... And on an unrelated note: I got your book and my bf, who doesn't much go for memoirs, much less food memoirs, is totally reading it! And enjoying it! So, that's fun :) Enjoy your awesome book tour -

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Gab said...

Will you be in the SF Bay Area any time soon? Please say yes!!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Calli said...

So.. when you say "Bay Area" in November, does that mean just the city itself?

Sacramento isn't in the area, but it's a shortish commute, so I think I might be able to make it! *yay*

- Callista

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger tammy said...

I bought your book today. My mom asked for it for Christmas, but I'll be damned if I won't have at it first. The woman at the register looked at the book with surprise. She had just been diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity and didn't know where to start. Today, I said, was her lucky day -- one copy left in the stacks.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

I just wanted to tell you I bought the book yesterday after finding it during my daily dose of "Smitten Kitchen". I LOVE it. Thank you. I'm not celiac but gluten-sensitive, and I can't wait to try out the recipes.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger marias23 said...

Congrats on your new book, girl! I love trying out your deliciously gluten-free recipes.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger janelle said...

Shauna: it completely broke my heart to not appear at La Spiga on Monday... and I don't know if I can make Friday, either, so though the lure of all those fabulous meals and side-splitting conversation is what I long for, I may have to settle for a quick meet tonight amidst the aisles at Whole Foods. I will do my best!

You don't know you missed me this week, because we haven't met yet! I have gotten to know you and your blog more recently than from long ago, and it has been such a pleasure. I am always trying to embrace each day and it is such an art; it is refreshing to read---and feel---your ability to embrace/enjoy/embark on life so fully.

Congrats on your book; it is so needed and I will happily recommend it. I look forward to picking it up this week for myself!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Hi Shauna,

Thank you so much for your energy, compassion, and humor. I was turned on to your blog from a friend that is gluten sensitive. I am addicted to the blog for your excellent writing about what matters most.

You wrote about me without knowing me - I'm that (Student) Teacher in Michigan reading on my lunch break! I'm going to try to be in Chicago for your tour too. Enjoy all your travels!

Cheers!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Keith said...

You have great places lined up in Portland. I hope I get a chance to run over to Bob's Red Mill. Welcome to Portland!!!!

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment really belongs on an earlier post about Italy but honestly, I'm too lazy to go back and find the right one. At this point, someone has probably mentioned that you can buy Illy coffee here in the States. Sur La Table is one place and for some reason, I want to say that I saw it at Ikea (but my memory may be fading with regards to that spot). You can also order it online at illyusa.com. No need to go without great Italian coffee!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

Allison,

Thank you so much. It's amazing to me, knowing that you read the book. And all the posts! Wow, I don't even think I remember them all. Your reaction is all that I had hoped for - that people would feel inspired to cook and be fearless in the kitchen. Go forward and cook!

Girl Upstairs,

That meal sounds fantastic. You made my mouth water. I'd happily share that food with you and continue the conversation.

Sheri,

There's not much time, seemingly. But breathing's the only important part of the day. I'm practicing.

Melissa,

I love that you wrote this. Yes! You know my laugh. I look forward to sharing much more laughter with you in Colorado.

Chupieandj'smama,

Oh, I'm so glad you liked the butternut squash soup. My mouth is watering, just thinking of it.

Mindy,

Oh darn! I guess that means we have to go back to Chicago again...

Tori,

So glad that you'll be there! I'm excited to try the bakery and meet you. I'll be there from 2 to 4, so come on by!

Marie,

oh my dear, thank you. I do hope you enjoy the book.

Sweetpea,

Yay for partners that go to the end of the world to feed us well. I can't wait to finally meet you in Chicago, as well.

Nicole,

If the boyfriend is reading it and enjoying it, something must be going right....I would love some of that applesauce!

Gabs,

Yes! We will be in the Bay Area from November 8 to 12th. Details to follow soon, but there's something planned for every day!

Astillac,

We're covering several areas. There might be plans afoot to visit Sacramento in December...

Tammy,

Your story stuck with me all day long. Thank you so much for writing that. It's moments like the one you described that I hoped would happen with the book.

Samantha,

So happy that you found the book through Smitten Kitchen. She's just amazing, isn't she?

Marias23,

Thank you. I'm so happy that the recipes work well for you, and make you happy. That's what this is about.

Janelle,

I'm actually about to leave for Whole Foods in 45 minutes! We'll have copies of the book here. Come up and find me.

kelly,

That amazes me. Yesterday, when I was writing, the word Michigan came up. I don't know of any teachers in Michigan. Or at least, I didn't! Thank you so much for writing and reading.

keith,

I love portland! I'm so excited to be there. Tell your friends. I hope to meet you at Bob's.

Lora,

Oh, I know. Actually, several places in Seattle sell Illy, including DeLaurenti's downtown. It's not the same, though!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Meat and Vegetables said...

Shauna,
I am SO EXCITED that you're coming to Portland this weekend. I only wish you could come one day earlier and bring Danny to experience our Saturday Farmer's Market. This time of year, it rocks my socks off: apples, pears, all sizes, shapes and colors of squash, root vegetables by the armful, hazelnuts, dainty greens, still, and hearty ones as we move into colder months. Then there are the meats and cheese. The pork (oh, the pork), and buffalo, elk and free ranging, grass-fed-and-finished beef--plus goat cheeses that might blow your well-tasted mind. Not to mention the pates, the salmon, the--I really oughta stop. The beauty of October markets in Portland is all those fall foods, plus the end of the summer's berries, grapes, beans, eggplant... We are so, so lucky to live in such naturally gluten-free, health and vitality-filled bounty.

I am going to try my darndest to come see you while you're here, but I'll have to ditch some classes to make it happen. When you say "Tuesday afternoon at Piece of Cake", when about do you mean?

Have a safe drive down. I hope you like our little city.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger sassy said...

I am a new lurker - can I define myself like that right away?
Shauna, I want to tell you how much you have touched me in a love-life love-food, love-being-alive, dancing -to-the-music in your head kind of way. I don't have celiac disease but my best friend's 7 year old does, and your blog has brought me to tears now three days out of three (I only met you because of Orangette!!). I also want to thank you for reminding me that a love like yours and Danny's is real and possible (maybe for me one of these days).
Thank you for sharing,
All of it.
And for short sentences and stream of consciousness and living in the moment.
For Yes.
and for all of it.
Thanks,
Shilpa from Boston

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog through SouleMama (you two seem to have a lot in common: hip, soulful, and *gorgeous* pictures! :))

I don't know if I have celiac, and I can't go to a doctor to be tested (health insurance. I don't have it). But I am going to attempt to go gluten free to see if this takes care of some digestive issues I've been having. It was a dim prospect til I found your blog. You make it seem so joyful, you have such a sense of joie de vivre.

I do have a question I hope you know the answer to, though- how can you tell if you have Celiac, or if it's a wheat allergy? Or something else? I've noticed that I don't have digestive ick (my term for the bloating, gas, and irregularity that comes when I eat grains) when I eat sprouted grains (Ezekiel bread for example).

I'm checking your book out of my library as soon as I can, along with a few other "gluten-free" books, and see what becomes of me. It's such a mystery to figure out when you have no medical professional to help. :(

-Anonymous in IN

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

I've been gluten free for two years and have been reading your blog for a few months now. Through your writing you encourage people to branch out and try new foods as well as truly enjoy life; for that, I'm thankful. Thank you for spreading the word about celiac and proving that life without gluten does not have to be miserable. You are truly an inspiration.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger siewyuk said...

thanks for inspiring me to go back to gluten free eating again....realise am a much nicer person when taken off gluten ;) don't understand why tho...need your help...what's a good substitute for sorghum flour since I can't geddit here in singapore?

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Vivienne said...

i had to put down your book to write a note and give thanks to you.

i've been strictly off of gluten for 2 years now (and not so strictly on and off it for the 10 years before that...and i'm only 30...so really, a good chunk of my life has been consumed with all-that-is-or-isn't gluten free). That said, I don't feel like I've been particularly inspired in cooking gluten free. its often been 'what i can't eat' rather than 'what i can' and all that changed this week when i came across your blog and after reading your first post i knew i would need to go get your book.

i'm feeling so inspired and need to send you though much thanks for living your life passionately gluten free and inspiring me to do so as well.

so much thanks.

deliciously alive,
vivienne

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger madre-terra said...

Is it possible to have a crush on a blog? To be smitten with every word? To hang on every sentence as if it were your last?
I think so.
Again, again, and again.

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger abby said...

i bought your book this week and am really enjoying the read! my mom mentioned celiac the other weekend and then i came across your book and started reading up. are you published with a UK publisher? the book i got was printer in the states and i was curious as I live in london and work at a publishing house!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Tevis said...

My mother (Melissa, aka "glutenfreeforgood.com") told me that you'd be coming to Chicago. I'm so excited. There are a few great gluten free restaurants. One of which is called Da Luciano's which is near O'Hare and is family run and has gluten free italian food. It's amazing and they are so sweet there. Also, if you're going to be having any cooking demonstrations or signing, I would love to attend. I'm so excited for you to be heading to Chicago!!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Lael Meidal said...

hi shauna. I don't have celiace but I adore your blog! Both for the writing and the recipes. I've only found my way into the food blog world in the last couple months, from Molly's wedding photographer's blog (we're both from bellingham) to Molly's Orangette to you and so on. It's been exciting to see your book appearing on so many other bloggers' sites! I'm so glad for your success and can't wait to pick up the book myself.

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shauna, after reading SouleMama's review of your book, I ordered it from Amazon in a flash, one-day shipping and all. I just finished it last night, and I must tell you, it was just beautiful. What an inspiring story. I am neither allergic to gluten nor a regular reader of your blog (though now you can be sure I'll be reading my way throught those archives), but I really felt like I could identify with you - your love of food, love of life - and I was truly touched. I devoured the book so quickly, frequently telling myself to slow down so I could enjoy it longer, and was sad it had to end. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, and I look forward to hearing more of your adventures in food and life.

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I want to sincerely thank you for the spinach bacon risotto recipe...actually for the tips and the way your recipes sound like a conversation. It's like having a non-judgemental friend in the kitchen. I really hate cooking. I adore food and all of the incredible moments that come with it, but the kitchen makes me nervous. I was diagnosed 4 months ago and am still in the "restaurants make me sad" stage so clearly I need to face my fears in the kitchen. So for my bacon loving husband's birthday I attempted the risotto and I suceeded! While trying to keep a one year old away from the dog'd bowl and the stove knobs, I cooked! Not only did it work...it was absolute HEAVEN! I've never eaten risotto before but it has changed my life! I loved pastas and have so missed that italian mouthwatering flavor of a great restaurant meal. Every gluten free pasta I've tried ended up as doable but hardly worth my time. THIS is the flavor I've been missing. Who knew? It held every ounce of flavor so perfectly. It took a while, but it was totally worth it because it hit the spot. It was the feeling I've been daydreaming about for months. You've given me the confidence to try different flavors with it. I'm even attempting to make some holiday staples so I don't get sad watching everyone else eat my faves. You've become my cliff notes for gluten free recipes. Thanks you so much!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger tiffany;; said...

Wow, your life is filled with so much joy. I don't know whether to rejoice for your happiness or be utterly jealous. Maybe a little of both.

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna,

Congratulations on the book! I've been reading your blog for quite a while now, and when I saw the cover of your book I felt as excited as if I knew you in real life. I will be reading it with pleasure-- you should be proud of all you've accomplished! (oh, and I'm plugging your book on my own blog!)

-Sarah

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shauna - how did it go with Tom Douglas? Did you educate him so that we can maybe start enjoying his fine cooking sometime soon? I've always wanted to eat at one of his restaurants, and would so love to have his crab cakes, but...and the response I got to an email inquiry didn't engender confidence in me. Hopefully you have inspired him to even newer heights!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger The Diva said...

I just want you to know that I'm loving your book. I bought it from Amazon the first day it was out. We, in Oklahoma, the Siberia of gluten free eating, would love to meet you too. Thank you for your beautiful words. I put a link on my garden writer blog, reddirtramblings.com to your blog.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog but I have to say I am in awe!!!! Your food looks absolutely amazing! I will definitely be trying some of the recipes (your gluten free pancakes caught my eye and might be my breakfast tomorrow along with some fresh raspberries).

I have a friend who is gluten intolerant and is always bemoaning the fact that it is so hard for him to eat. Your blog proves otherwise. Not only is there plenty of options available, it all looks utterly mouthwatering!!

Congratulations on the book too. I will be purchasing it for my friend as a gift.

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What to do in Chicago? Well, come see my play obviously (I sent an email, hope you got it), but beyond that...

Look up Metromix (http://chicago.metromix.com/), they're a good site for shows, restaurants, and other stuff to do around the town. I'd say you can't miss Second City (birthplace of SNL), but that's just me.

Chicago is a city of neighborhoods-- more so than most cities. Look up a bit about different neighborhoods if you want to get a sense of where to go. If you want more recommendations from someone on the ground, send me an email.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger cris said...

Hoorah for celebrating Peruvian food. My husband grew up in Peru and I've loved learning to cook different things since getting married. I also loved going to Andina. It is a lucky crowd that will join you there this weekend. Cheers!

 
At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you're headed to Chicago, you may as well come to St. Louis, too! It's a hotspot for celiac movers and shakers - just today I got to meet the wonderful Alice Bast from NFCA. She was in town to discuss school lunch programs. Anyway, there are over 500 active members in the bi-state celiac support group. Great places to eat all over, too. Want some delicious gfcf baked goods? We will spoil you with scones, biscotti, focaccia bread, etc.

I am so proud and quite frankly awed by everything you've done for your fellow celiacs. We're looking forward to seeing you here!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Tevis said...

Oh my goodness, I forgot to offer you an invitation to a show while you're in Chicago. I just found out that our accordion club is going to be playing while you're here and we'd love for you to come! I can email you the information if you're interested.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger I Am Gluten Free said...

Shauna,

Would love to know where and when you will be in Chicago. We are traveling there the first week of November. Looked on your google calendar, but it didn't specifically say where you'll be.......

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Ali said...

I love love love your blog. It's a new addiction. I can't wait to pick up your book, I might even steal out of work to see you at Bob's Red Mill.
I was diagnosed with celiac 10 years ago and the gluten free world has changed so much ~ it is so much easier to live with it now.
If you have time to squeeze a visit in to Grolla restaurant, you must! It is owned by a celiac and it is devine! The hot rolls brought to the table made me want to cry! (Visit them at: http://www.grollarestaurant.com/)
Enjoy your trip to our lovely city!
Thank you!
~Ali

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great pancakes. I used Amaranth flour instead of Teff, and they worked well.

Thanks for the recipes, and for all your efforts to make the world easier for celiacs. I hope my 4 year old niece will never have any trouble finding gluten free foods as she grows up.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Dahlia said...

HA! I giggled out loud when I read you were going to be at Andina in Portland. A friend and I JUST took a road trip down from Seattle and happened on Andina by accident - we spent a glorious, moan-filled evening savoring each wheat-free, dairy free morsel, marvelling as every tidbit seemed better than the last - amazing! We fell in love with the food and will be back for the ambience (to say nothing of the cocktails!)

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So my post will be somewhat relavent to yours, I will say I applaud your dedication to making even your pancakes from scratch. I dump the little bag of GF Naturals pancake mix in the bowl, add three ingredients and stir in blueberries. They are the best pancakes, of any I've ever made (from a mix) but I'm sure your recipe would easily top them.

But really what I want to share, is that I'm 80 pages into your book, and I'm trying to savor every page - to not finish it too quickly and then long for the next one. I'm five years older than you, and your childhood food was exactly what mine was. I can't stop laughing when you mention various day glow orange foodstuffs...lol!

I had to order my copy of your book from B&N, as only two locations in Atlanta carry it in stock, and both are over 30 minutes from me. Certainly it's worth driving the distance for, but they shipped a copy to my store at no cost, and I thought by ordering it, four or so people would be exposed to the title, that might otherwise have not been. I'm always looking for an angle to spread the gluten free word!

Now, I have to admit that your Dad and I, salt our food exactly the same way. And everyone in my family does as well... I use one of the sea salts you mention in your book, but now I have ten new items to search out (including salts) to start cooking with, and using on my food. I think my husband might be a little annoyed when I buy the higher grade olive oils but life is short - too short to use cheap olive oil.

Thanks for every word in your beautiful book! Your blog of course is wonderful and so inspiring to me, and so many others. But to have the book in my possession - that is really a great feeling. To know that I'm not the only gluten free person out here fighting the good fight, turning away from all I've ever known of food, in favor of eating real food - well it feels good to know what great company I am in. Gluten free girls totally rock!

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A deeper female voice. Honey? Some or most of us including me never thought otherwise.

How you smell? I'm willing to leave that to the Chef.

I'm thrilled your life is blissful in a way you can appreciate. Mine remains so different and yet equally wonderous.

Breath. Think. Say Yes. Always say yes.

And when you are in the area please do call :-)

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Gretchen Noelle said...

I am working through some of your recent past posts and this certainly caught my eye..."How many of you have eaten Peruvian food?" Well...I LIVE in Peru and have fallen in love with the cuisine here! I do hope you enjoyed your delicious array of food at Andina.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger The Peanut Butter Boy said...

These pancakes look delicious. I'm not on a gluten-free diet, but I make pancakes that are gluten-free as well - assuming that your oats are gluten-free.

They are very simple and moist and are only made with a few ingredients! As a bonus they are incredibly healthy. I think you might like them Shauna:

http://peanutbutterboy.blogspot.com/2007/12/worlds-healthiest-pancakes.html

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These pancakes are yummy. I keep a jar of the dry ingredients mixed and ready to go. In my search for gluten free pancakes, I tried many disappointing recipes. These are the best, hands down. I like my pancakes thin, so I use 2 cups of water instead of 1 cup of rice milk. I am also dairy free so I use silken tofu instead of sour cream. Thanks!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Complicated Mom said...

I just made your pancakes. After months of missing my fluffy, perfectly cooked pancakes (that inevitably made me feel overly full and ill, which I attributed to too much maple syrup), I have found not a replacement, but a better pancake! Thank you SO much for this. I was able to eat brunch with my boyfriend and have us both enjoy pancakes, rather than me have a slice of funky textured gluten-free toast (I have yet to try your recipe for bread) while he enjoyed pancakes. These are amazing, as are all of your recipes that I've tried. You make me want to cook, to enjoy the process as well as the end result. Having gone wheat-free a few years ago (though I've always cheated until now), cooking became a chore. Since reading your book, and now catching up on your blog, I am excited to be in the kitchen again. I am trying new things (firstly, radishes, which have a wonderful spiciness that I wasn't expecting) and cooking everyday. No more pre-made foods for me. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. You have made my life easier, and yummier, in so many ways.

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are really awesome! Fluffier, even, than when I've made traditional buttermilk pancakes. And they froze well, so I'm going to make a bunch and have them ready to stick in the toaster. Thanks! :)

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Made this tonight with a couple substitutions because I didn't have everything in my pantry. These are, by far, the fluffiest, tastiest pancakes ever! they have so much more flavor than wheat pankcakes. Thank you so much, Shauna! My husband, who does not have to eat gluten-free, took one bite and said ".......WOW! You can make these ones every time you make pancakes!" These are the substitutions I made (all the same measurements as called for in the recipe): millet for the teff, coconut flour for the sweet rice, milk for the rice milk (my almond milk had gone off), and greek yogurt for the sour cream. Thanks again!!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sitting here absolutely stuffed full of pancakes, staring out the window at snow falling on the brownstones across the street. Your recipe has seriously made my day. These fluffy little babies might even rival my late Gramma's amazing pancakes.

This was my first attempt at anything close to gluten-free baking. Thank you, thank you, thank you Shauna & Chef for doing the work to create these recipes and for sharing with us. I only recently went gluten-free, and despite knowing how much healthier and energetic I feel without it, I'm a big foodie, so the temptation to fall off the wheat wagon is strong. Your book and your blog came into my life at the perfect time, and I am so grateful.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous celeste said...

These were the best ever! Thank you so much!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger hydrolagus said...

These are wonderful pancakes! I wanted to pass along that the recipe can be doubled just fine. I'm sure it would be handy to freeze some since they reheat nicely, but around here even a double batch gets polished off within a day.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger kenna said...

i don't have a gluten allergy, but i've been researching gluten-free recipes lately for my younger sister who is. these pancakes look very promising! i'm not too familiar with the ingredients yet, though. would it be possible to mix up the dry ingredients ahead of time and keep them (like a pancake mix)? would i need to refrigerate or freeze the dry mix?

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger AW said...

Shauna,

Just made these pancakes. And I have to dispute you on the "can't mess up pancakes" too much comment. I've made some pretty awful GF pancakes. LOL! The biggest issues of which, they don't fluff. Which is why I'm here commenting. These are BY FAR the fluffiest GF pancakes I've ever made. And that's after realizing I forgot to double the eggs when I doubled the recipe. I also subbed coconut milk for milk and then applesauce for the sour cream. I threw in a handful of Enjoy Life chocolate chips for the second batch. My 3 year old, a PICKY PICKY eater, devoured them. So a winner all around.

Most importantly, I want you to know that you inspire me to figure out GF chemistry on my own. I have the added challenge of being dairy and soy intolerant, but I'm finally done being scared of my own kitchen. No more pre-made mixes. I'm going to just stick with gluten-free flours and good ol' trial and error. I can do this!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home