This Page

has been moved to new address

gingerbread men— oh my

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

04 December 2006

gingerbread men— oh my


gingerbread men, originally uploaded by shaunaforce.

Every December, for decades of my life, I made dozens and dozens of gingerbread men. Nearly every weekend, I found myself at the end of each evening with piles of crispy ginger cookies toppling on baking racks and flour all down the front of my shirt. In fact, for years I just baked myself unconscious all throughout the holidays, just coming up for breath in January, spent and determined to never bake again. Somehow, every year I forgot the frantic fracas and went back to it.

Of course, when I first found out I had celiac, I figured I would never bake again. Within three days, I gave my flour-dusted copy of the Pillsbury baking book to my dear friend Dorothy. I tucked my recipes for holiday cookies in the back of a drawer. I was determined to live my life without baked goods.

Now, of course, I think — how silly. There is a natural process to this journey. At first, shock and horror, along with a small spring of hope at the life Iwe might have. And then, as we start to truly feel well for the first time in our lives, there arises a determination to do this right, all fervency and fabulous zeal. A bit of grieving, continual surprise, a little anger, a sense of discovery — we can cycle through them all and stay longer in some than others. Finally, there is acceptance. And we just live.

Honestly, at this point, I think about living gluten-free all day long, but it’s only because I am keeping this website, and writing a book, and marrying a chef who has worked to make his restaurant safe for those who are living gluten-free. If I were feeding myself, and not writing about this, I’m not sure I’d be identifying myself so much this way. I’d just eat the food I know is safe and think of other things.

I’m so grateful to be aware of this. I really loving helping anyone I can, any one of you reading who needs to live gluten-free.

I find, therefore, that I have a natural affinity for anyone else who makes gluten-free food, who wants to educate and help other people. This is why I like Lisa Shaw so much.

Lisa runs a gluten-free baked goods company called Mona’s Gluten-Free. Back in September, she and her company launched their gluten-free mixes into the larger market beyond their Woodinville store, and they held their launch luncheon at Impromptu. In honor of the occasion, Lisa invited representatives from local co-ops, health food stores, and grocery stores to eat with her and talk about living gluten-free. I felt honored to be invited as well. It was an extraordinary moment: being at the Chef’s restaurant, with people who must avoid gluten, all of us able to order whatever we wanted off the menu, and talking freely. The same way I feel an immediate affinity for my fellow food bloggers, I feel an instant ease with anyone who eats gluten-free.

The Mona products are great. The Chef has used the baguette mix many times to make gluten-free bread at the restaurant. I respect and admire the work Lisa has done.

But when she sent me her mix for gingerbread men, my respect sky-rocketed to adoration. Oh my god, these are fantastic. They put tears in my eyes. I have eaten far too many in two days.

Once I came to acceptance — and even an embracing — of my gluten-free lifestyle, I started to disdain the use of mixes. After all, when I baked with gluten, I would never have made something from a box or bag. Once I had experimented with gluten-free flours and started to mix a little bit of this and a little bit of that, I felt above a packaged mix. I haven’t had one in the house since the Chef walked in.

But I’ve changed my mind with these gingerbread men. I want to make another dozen tomorrow and send them out to friends as presents. (Okay, I have to wait until January this year to give my gifts, as the book is due first.) I want to eat another one right now.

Crisp with a chew, spicy with nutmeg and ginger, wonderfully dense in texture in all the right ways, these cookies rise up and form little ginger people perfectly. Last night, I made a batch, frosted them (ha! No one ever said I was Martha Stewart), then took them over to Molly and Brandon’s for a little celebration dinner. They were both impressed. Brandon, who is a little obsessed with the science and reasons why of food, and thus a tough critic, took a bite and said, “There is absolutely no indication that these are gluten-free.”

I have to say, I agree. They are simply damned fine cookies. They’re even better for breakfast the second day.

And so, I’m going to say something I have never said on this website — buy these. If you have an interest in ginger cookies, you must buy a bag of these. Don’t waste any time. It’s that holiday baking season again.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

For years, I did not know how to make a proper buttercream frosting. Oh, it tasted good. How could it go bad with butter and sugar? But it was always too runny, a little too soft to do anything but spread it densely with a knife.

Yesterday, as we were walking into the restaurant, I asked the Chef how to make it. “Well, you start with softened butter….”
“You mean melted butter?” I said, hopeful I hadn’t always been making a beginner’s mistake.
“No, that would ruin it,” he said.

Oh

He was right, of course. If you let the butter sit out until it is naturally soft — instead of being impatient and melting it in the microwave the way I did for years — this buttercream frosting should come out wonderfully thick and ready to be stuffed into a pastry bag.

And by frosting gingerbread men with a pastry bag and thick-enough frosting for the first time in my life, I was able to make naughty gingerbread people for the Chef when he came home.


½ cup softened butter, not melted but yielding to the touch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk (if you want to be truly decadent, use heavy cream)
1 ½ cups powdered sugar

Cream the butter in a stand mixer (or your biceps, if you wish). Add the vanilla and milk and stir until the mixture has become coherent. Slowly, add the powdered sugar, in little dribs and drabs. Only add the powdered sugar until the frosting is the thickness and consistency that you desire. (Please use the above measurement as only a rough estimate.)

Stuff the frosting into a pastry bag and ice your cookies in any pattern you wish.

17 Comments:

At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting the Gingerbread mix! I made my own versions last year and they were just not the same. I will definitely be buying this mix! My son is standing next to me yelling "Look, cookies, mama, cookies!":)

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look GREAT!!!

Nice to know that things like this are out there...

Hey, good luck this month..., and I love your save the date card.

SM

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must try them!

 
At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE GINGERBREAD MEN TOO...I agree, when I discovered that wheat makes me feel sick and headachy and depressed and makes my face break out in a red itchy rash I thought my baking goods consumption days were over but no no no...not only are they not over I can finally bake wonderful goodies, eat them and feel...free...feel nothing...I LOVE IT! I am free to eat!

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear mix and product recommendations from you. I used to be a baking fiend, but so far since the Celiac diagnosis I don't have the inclination to bake much. I've let the process move me away from breads, cakes and cookies for the most part. Every now and then I just want to buy or bake something good without much thought or effort. (Although this Christmas I may be swinging back. I was a manic Scandinavian Christmas cookie baker, and since the diagnosis--nothing. But this year I'm going to make two kinds of almond cookies, and lefse (potato based). I can hear my friends and family breathing a sigh of relief.) I find that I like looking for recipes that are normally made without wheat flour. But these handsome ginger fellas look delicious!

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna,

I just discovered your blog today through a celiac support link. I'm just at the start finding out whether I have this issue--you know: visiting the allergist for the first time tomorrow, etc., having even more bloodwork done, etc. and so I am really thrilled to know that you are out there. I don't have strong presentation of many of the symptoms associtated with CD save for an unusual one and that could be symptom of something else. Ah, diagnostic good times!

I also wanted to say that I love your take on life, the way you write about who you are and what you experience, with Chef, your friends, a new vegetable. I especially am touched by the posts wherein you (re)discover a critical cultural driver (food-oriented, of course) of your pre-diagnosed self--such as gingerbread men and your thanksgiving stuffing recipie.

And, even though I don't know you, I can very much relate to your partnership joys--it's something that I want for myself and I am so pleased to learn that you have it. Cheers to more awesome stories of people coming together in their late 30s !!! Congratulations and wish you all the happiness in the world!

With much appreciation,
Pritha

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love, love, love your site. The help it provides to those of us who need to watch what we eat is amazing. But most of all I love the joy you and the Chef have found in each other. It brightens my day. Thank you for sharing with us.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New to wheat free living, website has been a great help. Have linked you on my blog. Keep up the good work x
Jorden @ www.angelbunni.co.uk

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger leedav said...

You should take the next step and make Italian buttercream. You add sugar syrup to egg whites and then a lot of butter and maybe chocolate, or my favorite, passionfruit curd. Seriously, you will never go back to powdered sugar. The best/easiest recipe I've found is in The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Birnbaum.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

Yes, yes, yes -- to everyone.

Lee? Italian buttercream? Give me until January, after the manuscript is done, to tackle it. I've already started too many baking projects to distract myself. I have to finish this!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Aha! Softened butter. Well, that explains so much! Like you I wanted to melt the stuff to make it easier, but how maddening that it never worked.

The other day a friend of mine, off the top of her gorgeous head, whipped out the best buttercream I've ever tasted.

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question........My neice and newphew are allergic to gluten, my sister in law is telling my mom that she needs to use special plates, silverware and cookware (ones that have not touch gluten foods)...is this true?

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any chance she will be exporting her gingerbread men mix to Australia? They look absolutely delicious.

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Mona's stuff available in stores? I remember her being in Canada, and mail order...and then she was moving. But as you stated...I too swore off mixes,. I never looked into her products.

Now that my littlest one is also Celiac, and we love the story about the Gingerbread Boy, these cookies would sure be nice. :-)

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Cara Beth said...

I am reading back through all of your old blogs and this one looks great! I would love to order this gingerbread mix but the link to the mix doesn't work and I can't find it on mona's page. Any clue how I can purchase this mix? Thanks! Love your book by the way and, of course, your blog!!!

(diagnosed in February of '07)

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not pull up the recipe for the gingerbread men, only the frosting. Please help!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Heather kraft said...

I tried to make the frosting with vegetable butter, and it gets all oily and gross, I have to keep it in the fridge haha! Won't be making that mistake again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home